Dip tube in corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
Well, my father in law had an old ball lock corny sitting in one of his barns, dug it out, and left it in my driveway the other day. I opened it up just now and found that it's missing the beer out dip tube (the long one).

My question is: does anyone have any ideas on how to replace this without ordering a new tube online (my LHBS is small and can't get dip tubes). Does anyone have any experience with using something else in its place?

I have 5 gallons of Edwort Haus Pale ready to keg! Thanks.

I think you could just use a piece of 3/8" copper tube and flare one end. Lemme double check on the diameter, though.

In theory you could get a length of SS tubing, bend a flange on it and be good to go.

In practice, if you plan on using the corny on a regular basis, it might make sense to find the correct replacement tube.

Could be 1/4" tube, not sure, just match it up to the size of the gas in tube and get the appropriate length. You'll need a flare tool to make it work.

Good idea. The flare is going to be the difficult part. I'll stop by Home Depot tomorrow after work and check out their SS tubing (which I'm sure is nonexistent...).

Thanks for that link. It's the best price yet, although the shipping is $10.20 for USPS Priority.

I think I'm going to stop into a few hardware stores and see what they've got for me. If not, I'll order the tube (+ a complete set of new O-rings, just because) from CHI.

In my research, the tube is more than 1/4", but less than 3/8".

I think it's 5/16", but haven't been able to verify if it's some off the wall proprietary/metric size.

Would ot matter much if my new dip tube were a little larger or smaller, as long as it seals airtight?

Cool, I'm going to bring the other fittings with me to HD tonight after work and see what fits.

We hate shipping rates sometimes.
The $5 diptube weighs nothing......BUT.....the length of it puts if over the USPS $4.95 small box/package rate. UPS is a min. of $7.........RATS!

Matt

Well, ended up going to the beer store, the local brewery, the heating/plumbing supply store, the restaurant supply store, and now I'm at home depot--no luck. So I just ordered a dip tube and some o-rings from chi. Homefully they come soon. Thanks for the help.

Back