French Press - Hops into primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNewbie

Reaction score
Can I French Press whole leaf hops right into primary before pitching, without the fear of contamination? -- I plan to French Press the hops (boil wort, cool 8 cups to 133 degrees, add to French press), add the "tea" to the primary, then use them for bittering and/or flavor in the boil.

You can dry hop without sanitizing the hops, so I wouldn't worry about contamination. Trying to extract the flavors/bitterness from the hops at a temp that low, on the other hand, may prove problematic

The way I've done it: I boil the hops for 5 minutes in a quart of water, then strain them. The hop water goes in the fridge and the hops in the boil for bittering. The chilled hop water goes into the fermenter with the cooled wort. I was quite happy with the results. I tried using a French press, but mine is too small.

Trying to extract the flavors/bitterness from the hops at a temp that low, on the other hand, may prove problematic

What my plan is is to make "tea" with the hops, pour the water/"tea" off into the carboy, then take the hops out of the press, and put them into the boil of my wort (for the bitterness/flavor).

The way I've done it: I boil the hops for 5 minutes in a quart of water, then strain them. The hop water goes in the fridge and the hops in the boil for bittering. The chilled hop water goes into the fermenter with the cooled wort. I was quite happy with the results. I tried using a French press, but mine is too small.

Oooo, I like that idea too.

The way I understand it, though, is that the best way to do this, is that I need to use wort (whether doing it your way or mine) to best extract the aroma from the hops.

Back