Converting a Magic Chef Wine Cooler to kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradman192

Reaction score
I am considering trying to convert a Magic Chef Wine Cooler model number MCWC52b into a kegerator. Here is a link for the thing: MC Appliance Corporation Magicchef Wine Cooler Product Details

The inside dimensions as I measured them are:
Height: 28"
Width: 16.5"
Depth 16.5" (From the bulge at the bottom to the door is 12")

Does anyone know if this will fit 2 of the small sixth barrell size kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank? Or even if it will fit 2 of the slim quarter kegs?

I've been reading a lot about the sanyo 4912 conversion, but my friend is willing to give me this fridge if I can make it work.

Any adivce will help.

Thanks

Get a compass, or a piece of string and a pencil, and make a circle with just over 9' diameter. This is about the size of a corny keg; sixtels are just a little wider (I can measure mine for you when I get home from work, just having my first cup of coffee). Make two of these and see if you can get them to fit.

The height is a little tight, but should be fine. A regular sankey tap should fit, but it will probably pinch the hose of the liquid out on the top. I would get a low profile one to ensure that it will be ok.

I almost doubt a CO2 tank will fit in there as well, but they do have lines for about 40-60 bucks that are high pressure hoses that have connection for tank on one end, connection for regulator on the other (I just picked one up so I can use one of my spare 10 lbs tanks if I need to).

Hope this helps! Are you planning to put a draft tower or use a picnic tap? If you do a tower, be careful! I'm sure, since you've been reading up on the Sanyo conversions, that you've seen the corn starch trick. If not let us know.

I did a keg conversion on the magic chef beverage cooler (the beverage cooler and wine cooler are almost identical). One thing to keep in mind there are two wires that run along the top of the fridge. One controls the electronic temp controller and the other controls the light. If you drill straight through you'll cut both wires. I had to carefully cut a hole on the inside to find the wires and carefully drill the hole on the top (top is metal by the way) to miss the wires.

If you need help PM me.

Thanks for the replies.

Im pretty sure that it will cold enough because my friend said that when he has it turned up all the way it will freeze his water bottles.

does anyone know the inside dimension of the Sanyo 4912? Or at least the minimum cubic feet or inside dimensions needed to fit either 2 cornys or 2 sixth barrels?

Thanks

Back