Deuchars IPA Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, my brother in law was in from London this weekend and we did a taste test with the can of Deuchar's that Ryan was kind enough to send me.

First impressions were that Deuchar's out of a can has a significantly different taste than from the cask.

It also seems that the Golden Promise is really highlighted in Deuchar's and not as much in my Scottish Pale Ale. Do you know how they do it? I'm doing a mini-mash, so I won't have quite the amount of GP as an all-grain - but are there any other methods of really helping the flavor of the particular grain to come through?

Deuchar's has a citrus thing going on as well. I doubt they are adding anything special for this thought. Does anyone know how they get this flavor?

That said, I'm really enjoying this Scottish Pale Ale recipe I'm working on. I've brewed it twice with the 2nd attempt being an improvement over the 1st. I'll probably tweak it a little more and then post the recipe on the forum.

John

scottish_ale.pdf is the brew sheet for the last attempt which I am drinking now.

scottish_ale2.pdf is the recipe that I am working for the next attempt.

I've increased the Golden Promise a bit to try to bring out more flavor from the grains and get a little more ABV.

I'm also considering switching from the Styrian Goldings to the East Kent Goldings since they would probably be truer to the region.

I used DeathBrewer's stove top mini-mash as the brewing method with good result.

Thoughts from anyone?

View attachment scottish_ale.pdf

View attachment scottish_ale2.pdf

First impressions were that Deuchar's out of a can has a significantly different taste than from the cask.
John
Agreed Deuchars is much different in the can versus the cask. Thanks again. Really enjoyed your beers.

To answer an earlier question my Scottish Pale Ale recipe is not much of a Deuchar's clone at this point, but I'm pretty happy with the end product nonetheless.

I was inspired by the information in this thread and I tried my own recipe. I have fond memories of Deuchars on cask in Glasgow and had to try making it.
I followed what the brewer said fairly strickly, but made a few minor modifications.

For a 5 gal batch:
8.5 lbs English 2-row (MO equivalent)
0.75 lbs wheat
(no crystal!)
2.0 oz goldings at 60 min
0.5 oz goldings at 15 min
0.5 oz fuggles at 15 min
0.5 oz goldings dry hop 10 days in primary, put in after 4 days of bubbling
0.5 oz fuggles dry hop 10 days
WLP002 - used this because of its low attenuation, to give some sweetness and mouthfeel in absence of specialty grains
Mashed at 155 degrees 60 min

I was worried that it would come out too thin, and in hindsight I would probably use a half pound of some light crystal malt next time. Also, I would dry hop 2 oz instead of one. The color is beautifully light though, just like you see in the real thing. Much lighter than the typical bitter. I would not change the 60 min hops, but I might add more in the late addition (maybe 5 min). Alas, I can't really compare the flavor since it's been so long since I had Deuchars, but this one is pretty satisfying.

Any clone recipe needs adjusting and brewing multiple times.
Some times you can be close on the first brew others ones are a mile out.

The thread is mainly to show how you can attempt it and get you on your way.

Many people find out that by attempting a clone they realise they can formulate thier own beer and don't have to copy others.

It's cool that people are doing thier own recipes. Well done all.

Any clone recipe needs adjusting and brewing multiple times.
Some times you can be close on the first brew others oned are a mile out.

The thread is mainly to show how you can attempt it and get you on your way.

Many people find out that by attempting a clone they realise they can formulate thier own beer and don't have to copy others.

It's cool that people are doing their own recipes. Well done all.

I'm in agreement with Orfy here. I've brewed my Deuchar's inspired recipe three times now and it gets better each time. It doesn't taste a lot like an Deuchars, but I've received great feedback on it and its one of my favorite recipes now.

Great info in this thread. I went and googled for a Deuchar's clone, and it led me straight back here. I lived in Scotland for 6 months last year and really enjoyed Caledonian Brewery's Deuchars and the -/80. I found that the cask products in Glasgow were sometimes a bit dodgy, but there were a few awesome bars where the beers could really shine (Bon Accord and The Three Judges were tops for me). I am looking forward to brewing a Deuchars inspired pale ale.

Also, the brewer from Caledonian was really nice to reply at such length!

Many fond memories of the Caly beer festivals and the Deuchar's IPA. Since moving to the US I've had a hankering for the IPAs I could get back home. So I think I'll try this with a few tweaks for what i can get at the LHBS.

I might use 1056 for the yeast since I want to switch to this for most of my brews but it does take the FG down a few points. We'll see. Planning on a brew day Sunday so any thoughts appreciated, as always. :D

Code:
Recipe: Dyookers IPA
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: English IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
6 lbs 6.1 oz  Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)            Grain        78.96 %       
9.1 oz        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)     Grain        7.05 %        
6.1 oz        Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)                 Grain        4.70 %        
1.13 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         17.9 IBU      
0.50 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (15 min)                Hops         3.9 IBU       
1.00 oz       Styrian Goldings [5.00 %]  (5 min)        Hops         3.5 IBU       
1.00 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (5 min)             Hops         3.9 IBU       
1.00 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (0 min)             Hops          -            
1.00 oz       Styrian Goldings [5.40 %]  (0 min)        Hops          -            
12.0 oz       Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM)                  Sugar        9.28 %        
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)          Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 7.33 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 12.00 qt of water at 163.1 F    154.0 F

I'm stabbing at around 30 IBU and colour of about 8(ish)
They have only listed the base malts so it's probably going to have some crystal in it.
It's a very good beer and it's refreshing. If I was going to brew It I'd put a small amount of wheat in it to give it that summer beer feel.

organic gifts,organic gift baskets

OK, my attempt is now sitting in primary. What carbonation level should I go for? I recall it being a fairly low-carb'd beer.

Kegged and drinking (right now actually). Very grassy and earthy to the taste and pleasant hop aroma. Earthiness fades with each mouthful, IBU is way lower than the California IPAs, and this is a delicious ale that I'll need on hand this Summer. I need to see if my local store has the bottled version so I can compare. OK, go away now and let me drink my beer! :D

Has anybody tried following the brewers hop schedule to the letter? I've done the calculations and they do seem a bit odd.
here's what i got:
Fuggles 7g (0.3oz) 60mins
styrian Goldings 12g (0.5oz) 40mins
Fuggles 6g (0.2oz) 40mins
styrian goldings 40g (1.4oz) 15mins
Fuggles 10g (0.4oz) 15mins

I got the 40 min additions from his comments about 22% utilisation. This only gives me 26 EBU, so I think I'll have another addition of SG at 5mins.

I lived in Edinburgh for 6 months a couple years back and really enjoyed drinking Deuchars, so I was pleased to find this thread. This weekend I brewed a "Scottish Pale Ale" that was a higher gravity (but same IBU/OG ratio) riff on the recipe posted by the Caledonian brewer earlier in the thread. It was a 3g BIAB batch, so I'll list ingredients by % and IBU.

OG: 1.056
IBU: 40.3

89% Golden Promise
7% White wheat
4% C-40

60 min First Gold (18.2 IBU)
30 min First Gold (14.0 IBU)
10 min Styrian Goldings (3.3 IBU)
10 min Willamette (4.8 IBU)
0 min Styrian Goldings (0.5 oz)
0 min Willamette (0.5 oz)

WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast

Going to dry hop with 1 oz Willamette

I'll post tasting notes at bottling and after conditioning.

Just took a gravity sample, took a taste, and added 1 ounce of Willamette dry hops. Gravity was 1.013 after starting at 1.056.

It tastes wonderful. There's nice malt complexity that I'm attributing to the Golden Promise. I've never used GP as a base malt, but if this is normal I'll use it much more in the future. The bitterness is muted, but present and the hop flavors and aromas are quite pleasant and mostly floral.

It's been a long time since I've had Deuchars so I can't say how similar this beer is, but my sample jogged memories of sessions at the Cloisters or the Blue Blazer in Edinburgh.

Latest posts

Back