Dough Ball Questions. Okay, Doughing In.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salad 419

Reaction score
Instead of putting all of my strike water in the Mash Tun, I use about 25% and add grains slowly while stirring until it starts getting thick. Then, I add more water and add more grains, etc. until I'm out of water and grains.

What are the advantages or disadvantages to doing this?

You may not end up at mash temperature. I put all the water in that I have calculated for 1.25 to 1.33 per pound of grain. I have the water a few degrees higher so It will heat the mash tun. 5 minutes later I stir and take the temperature several places. If it is right at strike temp I add all the grains while stiring. I get no dough balls if I stir constantly while adding the grains. If the strike temp is 2 degrees over before adding the grains then just stir until it is at the strike temperature and then add the grains as above. Put the lid on right away. Check 5 minutes later (stir) with your thermometer and you will find the mash is right at the correct temperature. I have been doing it this way for many years.

There's nothing at all wrong with doing that, especially if you use a thick mash where it is more difficult to wet all the grains. It's what I have been doing for several years, and it works fine. In response to WBC's post, because of the extra stirring, you may want to heat the strike water a degree or so higher for the first few tries, and have a small amount of boiling and cold water to adjust the temperature if required.

-a.

Once you get used to water first you will be able to hit your mash temp right on every time. I have not had to adjust temperature in years.

I forgot to mention that I pre-heat the Tun with about 2.5 gallons of boiling water.

The temperature is usually 156F initially, but drops to about 152 within 5 minutes. At 45 minutes it's usually 149-150, so I add a bit of boiling water to bring it back up to 153.

So aside from the potential initial temperature issues, all is good in doing it this way?

Thanks guys.

Whatever works for you is just fine. By going a few degrees over your strike water temperature you accomplish preheating the tun. I try to keep brewing simple and not create extra steps which saves time. Once you find out that small adjustment in strike temp increase your mash will be spot on every time.

I add water to the grain already in my MLT and then stir to get down to temp and make sure I don't have dough balls.

Hit my temps each time and I loose 1 - 2 degrees over 60 minute mash time in a 10G drink cooler.

Back