Why spend $$ on custom BIAB bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get two paint strainer bags at Home Depot for about $5. They fit in a 5 gallon round cooler. Have had as m uch as 7 lbs of grain in it w/room to spare.

Yea but it won't help me with a 8 gallon kettle and 17.5 lbs of grain. Those strainer bags have limits.

I use something similar to a wine bag. I got it at AHS far about $20 and it's huge. I think it's 2'X3' more or less. It fits in my 15.5 gal keggle like a glove!

djbradle said:
Yea but it won't help me with a 8 gallon kettle and 17.5 lbs of grain. Those strainer bags have limits.

I have done this size grain bill using both of the paint strainer bags. I drain one at a time while the other continues to mash, works great.

I would say though that it's not very elegant. Does that really matter? No, but having the right tool made for the job can make the brew day more enjoyable. I'm still debating though since putting all the grain in one bag means lifting one bag. Splitting the grain into two is convenient from a weight perspective.

I have done this size grain bill using both of the paint strainer bags. I drain one at a time while the other continues to mash, works great.

I would say though that it's not very elegant. Does that really matter? No, but having the right tool made for the job can make the brew day more enjoyable. I'm still debating though since putting all the grain in one bag means lifting one bag. Splitting the grain into two is convenient from a weight perspective.

Just means I'd have to buy another pot . . which is not economically efficient for me. It all depends on what you have on hand and in my case I don't care too much about the weight and brew beer to save money . . . although a fraction of it IS hobbyism. Two pots = two pots to manage. One pot for me is to mash and boil. I do have a smaller 2 gallon pot I've used for steeping grains when I do extract and will use for sparging.

I am spending the money on one because of the tapered bag. I think it will make geting it out of the keggle much easier. Plus the handle sewn in for suspending it.

You can get two paint strainer bags at Home Depot for about $5. They fit in a 5 gallon round cooler. Have had as m uch as 7 lbs of grain in it w/room to spare.

I regularly use the paint strainer bags from Lowe's for as much as 8lbs of grains.

Can't I use a wine kit nylon straining bag.

The wine straining bags work fine. You don't need sewn on handles, just twist up the top and pull it out. I throw a half hitch around the cupboard handle to drain.

IMG_4330 (683x1024).jpg

I recently upgraded to a keggle and the wine bag was too small. I found a pretty cheap and easy solution. I bought one of those nylon laundry bags w/ a drawstring, which you can find in almost any dept, big box, grocery store. I then lined it with a voile fabric curtain- sewing up the sides. Cost less than $10.
If you're wondering, the reason I didn't use the laundry bag alone, it's because the holes are too large. And the reason I didn't use the voile alone was because I wanted the draw string. Used it for the forst time last weekend. Worked great and the laundry bag was more than up for the task.

djbradle said:
Just means I'd have to buy another pot . . which is not economically efficient for me. It all depends on what you have on hand and in my case I don't care too much about the weight and brew beer to save money . . . although a fraction of it IS hobbyism. Two pots = two pots to manage. One pot for me is to mash and boil. I do have a smaller 2 gallon pot I've used for steeping grains when I do extract and will use for sparging.

I'm confused - would you need two pots because of the two bags or because you can't fit all the grains? I use two bags, one pot.they don't need to fit over /around the rim. I split the grain between the bags, and bungee each one off each side of the pot. Mash into each bag separately to be sure it is all stirred up, then cinch the bag, and do the next one. If you watch the brewing tv episode "jakes got a brand new bag" you'll get the idea - even though he uses only one bag.

If you just can't get all your needed water in one pot, well then this won't help.

This is where you've gone off track...

Really? I can put down 6-12 bucks a bottle for a good belgian or craft beer or I can brew it myself. Essentially the purpose is to enjoy the same type of brew for a fraction of the cost as money is not so disposable to me as it may be to you. I put my passion into other more important things rather than just brewing beer my friend. That's nice that you idolize beer brewing, enjoy.

I'm confused - would you need two pots because of the two bags or because you can't fit all the grains? I use two bags, one pot.they don't need to fit over /around the rim. I split the grain between the bags, and bungee each one off each side of the pot. Mash into each bag separately to be sure it is all stirred up, then cinch the bag, and do the next one. If you watch the brewing tv episode "jakes got a brand new bag" you'll get the idea - even though he uses only one bag.

If you just can't get all your needed water in one pot, well then this won't help.

I can fit all the grains . . . and the water in one bag in one pot. Like I said whatever works for you. I've watched the Brewingtv episode many times which is why I am starting biab. He just didn't sparge in that episode which WILL give better efficiency but makes more time. Just letting the bag drain will reduce your sugar extraction. This is well documented. If I am able to sparge and mashout by dunking and pouring with another pot (which is on hand) then I will indeed grab more of the sugars from the grain giving a higher efficiency. I'd prefer not to use two 5 gallon paint strainers for the mere purpose of not having to manage two bags.

I have a ten gallon brewers best pot...a 2'x3' bag isn't wide enough to fit around the rim. I'm in the process of ordering a custom bag.

I bought a sheer voile curtain and Mom sewed me up a couple of bag in about 15 minutes. Cost $5 and me making dinner for Mom. Actually I sewed up my own hop bag out of some extra material.

I found a local alteration shop that sewed me a couple of bags for $12.00. I cut the fabric to taper at the bottom to drain cleaner. Paid less than 5.00 for the fabric. The scraps work well tied around my racking cane as a filter when I siphon the beer out of my fermentors as well.

I ordered one from http://www.bagbrewer.com and the guy made it to perfectly fit my specific 10g pot and had it to me in three days. That was well worth $35 to me. I have used it 10 times so far and it is perfect. I have brewed an IIPA with 16.25 pounds of grain in it, and an Imperial Stout with 16.75. to me the handles are key because I have a hook screwed into a garage beam right above my pot so I just hoist it up to the hook, and fire up the burner while it drains.
Sure you can save a few bucks, but I bet this bag lasts a lot longer than paint strainer bags so in the end it might not be much, and with all the money I have invested in brewing, $35 for a key piece of the puzzle is pretty insignificant.
I actually might order another one made to fit my 7g pot so I can double up on brew day!

I'd had mine from bagbrewer.com and have used it 6 times but the most so far is 15.5 lbs. I only have a 9 gallon pot but I gave my dimensions and if not for the pot size, I know I could fit 20 lbs in the bag.
Sadly, I have no way to lift my bag and work on the stove so I have to use a collander to remove some of the grains first (into another bag to drip) and when I have about 7 lbs left, I can then lift the bag. It's not a bag problem, just a muscle problem. One day I'll figure out a way to make a winch that my wife will allow in the kitchen.

wilserbrewer said:
If you can sew...and have a machine a voile bag is key...if not ....wink :)

Well, I let you sew it! Bag received Mike. * clap clap*

Saison tonight!

If you can sew...and have a machine a voile bag is key...if not ....wink :)

Well, I let you sew and it's now here . . .*clap clap*

Saison tonight!

9 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
2 lbs. White wheat
1 lb. Flaked Rice
1 lb. Clear candi syrup (after primary)

60 min. Mt Hood ( I know this is a noble variety similar to hallertau, late addition instead?)
10 min. Styrian Goldings (Maybe early addition? I've always used Styrian in my belgians as an first addition hop))
5 min. Crystal (Late addtion?)

7.2%
27 ibu's

Wyeast 3711

mb82 said:
I bought a sheer voile curtain and Mom sewed me up a couple of bag in about 15 minutes. Cost $5 and me making dinner for Mom. Actually I sewed up my own hop bag out of some extra material.

This. 2 yards of voile from the fabric store was about $6. The drawstring was about $1.50. I have a double layered bag that held 12 pounds with no problem and enough leftover material for several hop bags.

Why spend $$ on custom BIAB bag?

Because for $20 it is a hell of a lot easier to contact me and a have custom bag in your mailbox in 3-5 days...sure granted if you have a machine and source the material and thread it's easy....I encourage people to sew their own...anyone need a bag or wanting advice on sewing their own feel free to PM me.

Missed my mash temp by 1 degree but I'm happy. Stirred like crazy beforehand and never realized the trouble with dough balls. Got me all broken up though. Should I re stir the grains halfway through? Has anyone ever noticed a difference?

image-2326675639.jpg

I would stir well at some point...either half way through or at the end, or both...then let rest for five minutes...stirring is good to help "wash" the sugar from the grain.

Edit...just watch the flame on the bag...poly voile can't take much more than a few hundred degrees :)

I stirred in the middle then just let drain over a colander for about 15 minutes while I heated sparge water. I squeezed as much as I could then sparged with the rest of the pre boil projected volume. I had to sparge much more because so much sugar was still in there even after squeezing again. Hard work to say the least and I'm just starting my boil. Gravity is quite off because my volume is now 1/2 gallon over. 90 min boil or more should take care of that. Still a long night ahead. . . .

Next time I'll use a large bucket fermenter which will work much better than my 2 gallon pot.

SparklyFarmBrewing said:
I ordered one from http://www.bagbrewer.com and the guy made it to perfectly fit my specific 10g pot and had it to me in three days. That was well worth $35 to me. I have used it 10 times so far and it is perfect. I have brewed an IIPA with 16.25 pounds of grain in it, and an Imperial Stout with 16.75. to me the handles are key because I have a hook screwed into a garage beam right above my pot so I just hoist it up to the hook, and fire up the burner while it drains.
Sure you can save a few bucks, but I bet this bag lasts a lot longer than paint strainer bags so in the end it might not be much, and with all the money I have invested in brewing, $35 for a key piece of the puzzle is pretty insignificant.
I actually might order another one made to fit my 7g pot so I can double up on brew day!

+1 I order a bag from Jeff too. I ordered from Him because I read great reviews, the keggle design, and he sent me a pic of his bag holding 60lbs of sand. That's worth 35 bucks to me.

Well I had planned on making my own bag, but Joanne fabrics changed my mind when I saw $12.99 a yard for voile! Are there different types of voile? From everything I have seen on here it should only be a couple bucks. Looks like I might be giving someone a call to see if I can have a bag here by next weekend to brew.

Latest posts

Back