Wheat----long ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyGus

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat beer two weeks ago and the primary fermenting went normal. Started within 12 hours, went crazy for 2 days, used blow off tubes then tapered off. Now in all my brewing experience I have little to no airlock action after about 3-5 days....no problems. For some reason this beer after a week and a half+ is still bubbling slowly even after vigorous initial ferm. Is this a product of temp, the German Ale yeast, wheat beer?
More curious than anything and I haven't taken any reading yet so I have no idea where the beer is at the moment.

Did you take gravity readings before pitching yeast?

Some beers finish the bulk in just a couple of days.

Take one now and let us know what it is. It might be finished, but I would still leave it in the fermenter as the yeast still have work to do cleaning up after themselves.

Most of all, relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Yes, I believe it was @ 1.065 ish when I pitched the yeast.
I was planning on kegging half this weekend (3 week Primary) and 2ndary the other 6 gallons for another week or so. I'll check the gravity tonight before making any decisions.
I just thought it was weird that the airlock was still bubbling when all my other beers fermented quite differently. So I was wondering if that is a product of a wheat beer, German ale yeast etc. Possibly I under pitched? Who knows....either way I'm expecting it to be tasty.

Wheat beer generally is done in 7-10 days fermenting. My guess is the activity you are seeing is the yeast cleaning up. What kind of wheat beer is this? What temperature is it fermenting? I ferment all weizenbier at 62 degrees.

i think its pretty normal for it to bubble slowly, even after a week sometimes (even though it doesn't normally happen to you). i don't think its because its a wheat beer. my wheat beer didnt bubble that long. what type of yeast did you use, was it dry or liquid?

Well I didn't get to the gravity check last night. Was cleaning bottles forever. )-:
This beer is really a partial wheat. 3lbs Wheat malt, ~20lbs 2 row and 1 lb of crystal.
I used a German Ale yeast from smack pack and upped it with a 1L starter (x2) so I may have under pitched by a little bit.
Temp is ~65F where it sits. with slight fluctuation.
If I finish bottling my brown tonight then I will get a reading on this guy. I really want to have 3 kegs on tap for this weekend!!!!!!!!
Happy Mini Friday everyone!!!

Back