"Green" yeasty flavors/odors after 3 weeks in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBalls

Reaction score
A golden ale that I had in the primary for 3 weeks then bottled. There were still plenty of yeast clumps floating around in the fermentor at bottling time. Not a dense yeast sludge at the bottom either. I tried to siphon away and filter as much of that stuff as possible. The yeast is compacted on the bottom of the bottles just fine, but a few (not all) have some fine particles floating around when that I can see when hold the bottle up to some light.

The taste/odor is not that different from a sample I took a week ago.

Does this batch just suck or can it still get decent with more time in the fridge?

Bottle conditioning needs to be room temp or the yeast is sleeping or at least chilled out to the max. After at least three weeks at room temp it should be conditioned and mellowed and then you can fridge it to age.

i have done three brews now and I am trying to wait 8 weeks now before drinking them. after three weeks they might be okay but not what i would say to be good beer. around 8 weeks, completely different story.

yeah i took it out of the fridge and I'll wait a few more weeks. probably wont even sample another one for at least 2 more weeks

Back