Live brewcast 12noon EDT: Scottish 80/-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagen

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing my 80/- today. This style features a slightly different process than typical brews, and you may find it interesting. If you've tried brewing scottish styles without success in developing the characteristic melanoidins, you might like to see my process.

I'll be turning the camera on around noon Eastern.

Livestream - Drunken Celtic Brewers

Thanks for hanging out with me today! I would have posted this up sooner, but after cleanup and dinner, it was spontaneous nap time.

A couple folks expressed interest in the recipe, so here it is...

A couple important notes on brewing this style:

1) To fully develop the melanoidens, take your first 3 to 4 qts of runnings as soon as you draw them and boil in a seperate pot. Let this boil vigorously as you continue to sparge the rest into your regular brew kettle. Add those first runnings as you're heating your kettle.

2) Keep your ferment temps as low as possible, Ray Daniels reccomends between 55* and 60*F. The best I could achieve is 63*F, but it worked just fine and tasted wonderful.

3) After priming, cold condition for at least 2 months, preferably 3.

Highland Thistle
Scottish Export 80/-

Type: All Grain
Date: 7/26/2009
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Hagen
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer: various cats
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 88.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (Maris Otter) UK (2.1 SRM) Grain 87.05 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.44 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.44 %
3.0 oz Roasted Black Barley (675.0 SRM) Grain 2.07 %
1.00 oz Willamette Pellet [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 15.8 IBU
0.25 oz Gelatin (Secondary 5.0 hours) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
5.50 gal Local Water Water
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.35 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 15.8 IBU Calories: 240 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.9 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 9.19 lb
Sparge Water: 4.43 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.95 qt of water at 174.5 F 158.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 3.72 qt of water at 206.4 F 168.0 F

Hey..... thanks a lot for the brewcast. I enjoyed the time I spent watching and learning. I am going for my first AG this Tuesday or Wednesday depending on when I get my Mash Tun complete.

I am going to do a Creme Ale recipe first, then go for this recipe as my second run.

Again..... thanks.

Salute! :mug:

How critical is the cold conditioning? I don't really have the space to cold condition an entire batch, so I'd have to do it in smaller numbers.

Would aging at 60-65 be similar?

How critical is the cold conditioning? I don't really have the space to cold condition an entire batch, so I'd have to do it in smaller numbers.

Would aging at 60-65 be similar?

The feeling I got is that this is a hybrid style like a german altbier. That is, using an ale yeast at low fermentation temps and treating it like a lager. The youngest I've had mine is 2 months cold conditioned, so I couldn't speak definitively to the difference.
My guess is that the bittering hops would come through more, and the overall balance, though malt focused, wouldn't be as clean. I think it would still be very good, just not exactly to tradition and style.
I apply the pirate code to style as it is, they're more like guidelines than rules anyway.

BMCKEE56: Anytime my friend! Thanks for hanging out while I brewed. Good luck with the first AG, you'll do just fine!

Back