Chest freezer conversion into 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieWouldBrew

Reaction score
Hey, all.

I'm in the planning stages of converting my chest freezer into a kegerator (using the 2x6 sleeve adaptation... unless anyone can recommend why I should do it another way) and curious if it can serve dual purposes. That is, can I run a say 3 corny keg draft system and also have it serve as a laggering compartment? Of course, assuming I would be serving beers at whatever the lagering temperature might be.

Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

Happy Brewing...

E

I see no issues with that plan and actually plan on using my keezer for a lagering compartment as well. However, I was planning on making this a two-part process. For the first 2-3 weeks when brewing a lager, you'll want the temps up in the 50's. Although my keezer can keep temps that high, I like my beers served right around 40F. Because of that, I'm thinking about putting together a small "Son of Fermentation chiller" for the initial time in the primary. Once I'm ready to lager, I'll just take my carboy and drop it into my keezer at 40F. Let it sit it out in there for the rest of the lagering period before kegging.

Back