Making maple syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chardo

Reaction score
I'm going to make some syrup this year. I need to figure out the rate of evaporation of boiling water per sq.ft. of pan. Rough estimates wood be fine. The pan can be any size I like. We will be using a 55gal. wood burner for a heat soruce.
Also any good sources of info and any fourms to look at would be great too.

Chardo:)

I don't know what the concentration rate is. It's something like 50 gal=5 gal but I'm not sure. I do know that you have to boil for FOREVER!

The consontration rate is about 40 to 1 depending on the sugar content of the sap you collect. So 40gal. would get you 1 gal. of finished syrup.

Chardo

I don't know what the concentration rate is. It's something like 50 gal=5 gal but I'm not sure. I do know that you have to boil for FOREVER!

The consontration rate is about 40 to 1 depending on the sugar content of the sap you collect. So 40gal. would get you 1 gal. of finished syrup.

Chardo

Yes, that's generally about right, depending on the make up of the sap each year. It goes vary a bit each year.

Making syrup is fun- I love doing it. We split the wood, too, for the burner, so it is a ton of work but it's really all about the satisfaction of doing it.

you can cheat and run the sap through an RO filter before you boil. Just remember you want to keep the waste water. that's what the commercial outfits do.

So 40gal. would get you 1 gal. of finished syrup.

jawdrop7rg.gif
No wonder it costs so much.

Back