Chocolate Stout - What'd you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

web250

Reaction score
I'm hoping to make this my third batch (Wheat is in bottles, APA is this weekend):
It's a slightly beefed up alcohol content extract brew with steeped grains.

7.00lb Light DME
1.00lb American chocolate malt
.5lb Black patent

1oz Perle for 60 minutes
.5oz Willamette 5 minutes

8oz Lactose at 15 minutes

Stats (from Qbrew):
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.017
6.5%ABV
34 IBU
Color: 35

Sound good? One thing I'm concerned is the proper time to add the lactose.

I'd cut the Black Patent to 4 oz. and add some Roasted Barley, since that's the signature coffee flavor for stouts. In fact, you might want to ditch the BP & use 1/2 lb. of RB.

Lactose can go in any time.

You are not going as much chocolate flavor as you would think with chocolate malt alone. You might consider substituting some of the chocolate malt with roasted barley. If you want an even more pronounced chocolate flavor, you might consider adding some crushed cocoa nibs in secondary.

Lastly unless you want an extremely sweet beer, I'd either skip the lactose all together or start out with a small amount, and adjust to taste when bottling. 8oz of lactose is quite a bit.

Check out this recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43096

Ok, subbed BP for RB. Cut lactose to 4oz, and will check taste at bottling to possibly up to 6oz.

How about 4oz of unsweetened cocoa powder at 15min to up the chocolatey flavor?

Back