3rd Anniversary Barley Wine (Girl and I's anniversary drink)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portedbuckle

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking a while and finally decided to contribute to this forum with what I think turned out to be an amazing barley wine. We have decided to brew a barley wine each year for each anniversary.

Anyhow, I am not good at explaining taste, but it turned out malty, smooth, with notes of black currant and molasses. Wasn't cheap to brew because of the amount of grain used, but was well worth it. I let it ferment for a total of 6 months (1 month primary and 5 month secondary) and kegged it with a lot amount of carbonation. Here it is. Let me know what you guys think.

Adam

Ingredient Amount
UK Maris Otter 13lb 0oz
US 2-Row Malt 5lb 0oz
Belgian Biscuit Malt 1lb 0oz
German Caramel Pils 1lb 0oz
US Caramel 40L Malt 8.00 oz
US Aromatic Malt 8.00 oz

Mash at 147 degrees for 60 minutes.
After the boil off I ended up with an OG of a bit higher than expected. 1.121 or so.

US Cascade 4.5 % 2.00 oz 20.1 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
US Liberty 4.5 % 2.00 oz 22.1 Loose Pellet Hops All Of Boil
US Willamette 4.5 % 2.00 oz 11.0 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End

Did the hop additions and pitched two packets of US-05 Safale yeast. Definitely use a blow off on this brew.

I didn't take a FG measurement, but if we go by how buzzed you were after one pint, I'd say it was in the neighborhood of 13% ABV.

Anyhow, enjoy!

great idea man, congrats on having a woman who can share in this great hobby with you. My gf is also into craft beer and enjoys helping me brew and consume, we are the lucky ones. Work on that hoping schedule. looks a little light on IBUs to me, but I have a hop problem. check out mrmalty.com for a pitching rate calculator. looks like you might have under pitched a bit. You bottling off that keg? It would be super fun is if you could bottle that stuff up and hold on to a bottle and do vertical tastings every year on the anniversary.

Back