Replacing blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
Do I have to replace the blowoff tube after fermentation is done with an airlock, or is it safe to keep the blowoff tube in until I bottle if not using a secondary?

Made im crude.. I use postage tape to cover the hole then i just santize and replace with the same..

underground and under the influence

I replace the blowoff tube with an airlock if the tube is full of gunk. If the tube is clean, I often leave it.

Ok...I've been leaving it for my last 2 batches, but I wasn't sure if I was hurting anything doing that...thanks! :mug:

Just be careful with temperature fluctuations, you may get suck back.

Word.

I currently have a blowoff tube over my 1.091 RIS (a week tomorrow and still blowing strong!) and will keep it on until I move it into my interior closet to let the yeast warm up and do its clean up thing.

My main worry is that its supposed to go from the mid 50s today to the mid 70s Sunday and hope that suckback isnt going to be problem.

I hope that 3 feet of tubing will be enough room to let gravity work the problem out itself, should it occur

Yeah,same here with the temps going back up a little. But her Summer Ale clone that was blowing co2 & krausen while blowing the lid off,then nearly the tube is slowing down pretty good at day 4. Aromas so far seem right on track. May just throw an airlock on it later. For a 1.042 ale with one re-hydrated 7g yeast packet,this one has been a monster! I guess my wife has the touch for brewing!?
Just don't understand why it's such a munchy monster compared to my Burton ale. It started life at 1.065 from an estimated 1.070 with 4 7g yeast packets re-hydrated. It blew off a lot of co2,but little krausen. And no physical antics.
Of course,I am brewing the Burton in my Cooper's micro brew FV with the screw on lid. Those course threads hold pretty good,but did creak a little. Always makes me remember the rhyme of the ancient mariner. Her Summer ale was more like Iron Maiden's power slave. :D
* Just gave me an idea for the label. Have Eddie as the Sphinx from the cover (isolated from other part of painting) on the label. Name it power slave ale...inside joke for sure.

Back