Beer smith question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
Just started to use beer smith but these numbers dont seem right what do you guys think?
IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

It say mash volume 3.57 gallon and sparge vol 9.68 is that right mash in with only 3.57 seem low

What is the difference between mash vol needed and mash tun vol

It say mash volume 3.57 gallon and sparge vol 9.68 is that right mash in with only 3.57 seem low

How much grain? 9 pounds? I usually use 1.33 quarts/pound of grain- that's 3 gallons. If you're using 1.5 quarts per pound, then it's about right.

BUT, if you're making a 10 gallon batch, 9 pounds of grain is really, really, really low. You're at risk of way oversparging.

Look at your numbers. You're set up for a 10 gallon batch, but with only 9.15 pounds of grain. Either you need to double the grain, or change it to a 5 gallon batch.

I just started using beersmith so i guess i still need some time to learn it. Thanks for the info. If i double the grain and use 6 gallon to mash in with i guess i would use around 6 gallons to sparge

I just started using beersmith so i guess i still need some time to learn it. Thanks for the info. If i double the grain and use 6 gallon to mash in with i guess i would use around 6 gallons to sparge

If you're making a 10 gallon batch, you'd use 18 pounds of grain (I'm guessing). 18 x 1.5 quarts would be 27 quarts to mash in with. I'm not sure what you're actually planning to use for mashing, though.

The grain will absorb about .125 gallons per pound in the mash, so if you do have 18 pounds of grain, you'll "lose" about 2.25 gallons. If you mash in with 27 quarts (6.75 gallons), you'd get out 4.5 gallons. If you're making a 10 gallon batch, you'll need about 8 more gallons for the sparge.

About your mash water volume . . . once I got Beersmith set up for my equipment and process, I found that using the temperature and volume of mash water that Beersmith instructed led me to hit the target mash temperature every time. So, in my experience, its worth it to spend the couple of minutes getting Beersmith setup correctly and then follow its instructions regarding mash volume and temperature.

Sparging instructions matter less - I sparge until hitting my pre-boil volume.

Back