double the yeast? your experience pls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caslor

Reaction score
Hi to all brew friends

i make last time my All Grain Hefe-weisse beer with dry yeast : Safbrew T-58 11,5gr

i had OG : 1,058 for 18 litters and after fermentation at 18c temp i take FG : 1,027

my question is :

If i decide to make a beer with more high gravity at OG: 1.065 and fermentation temp at 20c one package of this yeast will be enough or have to use to packages of 11,5 gr

thanks in advance

As cheap as dry yeast is i'd use two. Or use Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan yeast. It's a much better yeast and can handle 10%ABV

I'm with Mustangj, I'd go with Wyeast -but regardless, to answer your question I'd double it, and I'd make a decent starter for it, and pitch it (the starter will 'ramp up' the yeast, and make a larger colony -I rarely skip the starter. )

i prefer dry yeast as it is used and in the original beer that i going to try to clone (franziskaner)
i live in a warm place (greece) so top fermented yeast is something i prefer.

one more question.. i rehydrated my dry yeast but never try to make a starter... i knew that this is something i had to do in liquid yeasts (if i use )

making starter from a dry yeast has any benefit to the result of the beer?

thanks again for the help :)

making starter from a dry yeast has any benefit to the result of the beer?

Making a starter will tell you if your yeast is health and it will multiply the number of yeast cells. I personally never make a starter when I'm using dry yeast but then again I don't use dry yeast that often especially with a Hef.
Just my opinion:mug:

Back