Suggest a Brew for My Wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameliabrewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an awesome wife! We are new to brewing. She helps me brew and bottle our beers even though she is not a beer drinker. She tastes each of our brews and has yet to find one she likes. Unfortunately she tried a Bud Lime, arrrrrgh!, and she kinda liked it.

Help me find a beer she would like. She does not like the hoppiness of our pale ales and does not like the dark beers like porters or stouts.

What beer do your wives/girlfriends like to drink?

If she doesn't like beer, then why make a beer for her? Why not make an Island Mist wine kit (they are like wine coolers and come in all kinds of fruity flavors), or some hard cider, hard lemonade, or a big bold red wine, if she likes those? Even a non-alcoholic drink, like ginger ale or root beer, would make her feel special and probably be very much enjoyed. And they need to be bottled, so she could still do much of the work of it, too.

I don't mean to sound insensitive at all, but so many guys want to make beer that their wives will like. If people don't like beer, then making one for them is kind of pointless in my opinion.

My wife was the same way, anything similar to what your girlfriend like was her go-to brew. I had her try McKewan's Scottish ale to I was shocked she liked it. As I continued in brewing she loved my pale ale which I thought was a bit underhopped. I brewed a Magic Hat #9 clone and she really likes that. Most HBS's will have good descriptions of the anticipated flavor profiles in their kits. Shop around and find one with medium maltiness and low hop. Go for it. She'll learn to like "real" beer. LOL

Good point Yopper!

My girlfriend loves wheat beers. She really likes Kawartha Lake Brewery Raspberry Wheat Beer and St. Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale. I don't know if you'll be able to find either of those in Virginia, but wheat beers with natural fruit flavourings are probably a good bet.

If you have tried an APA, a stout, a wheat beer, a sweet fruit lambi (lindemans) etc, she probably just doesn't like beer.

The most successful conversion I have ever seen was a woman who hated all beer other than lindemans. The first time I saw her drink more than a sip of anything else was a batch of Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter that I brewed. I moved away and when I saw her two years later she was downing IPAs and imperial stouts. I have no idea what happened.

In either case, you can't and shouldn't want to force someone to like beer, but it can happen. Just let her taste everything you are drinking, if she wants.

Definitely start brewing cider, mead, wine etc. She is bound to like one of those. Mead is awesome. I hate to admit it but when it is available I find myself more excited to drink beer than mead these days.

I agree with yooper on this one. Why not make an island mist and carb it up for her. BTW Yooper my wife loved your yellow fizzy beer so much I had to make it for a breast cancer benefit she was hosting!

I disagree with wine coolers, but what I do agree with are wheat beers. I've never found a person who doesn't like a good wheat beer. Heck, I wouldn't do anything fancy such as a Wit, I'd just brew a good ol lightly hopped wheat beer.

Here's a good one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/.

True, there ARE some people who love wheat beers. I hate them. If she's not tried one, though, it would be worth a shot. I'd probably buy one before making a whole 5 gallon batch. If she likes wheat beers, a low hopped American wheat would probably work.

Hefeweizens are a different ball game, though. The yeast has a very distinct character that people either love or hate. I tried one hefeweizen I didn't hate as much as some of the others- I think it was by Magic Hat.

They still taste like beer, though, so if she doesn't like beer she probably won't like them.

I don't mean to sound like a "downer" at all. I'm just thinking of my reactions here. If there is something I don't like, my husband knows not to try to push me into liking it. If your wife is willing to take sips of the stuff you make, then that's better than many other guys. I know that if Bob kept badgering me to like something that I didn't, I doubt I would ever come around. But a gradually introduction to the stuff YOU like, and perhaps something totally different for her, might be a good way to go.

I had a girlfriend who didn't like the aftertaste in beer. I tried seeing if I could broaden her horizons past cider beers and lambics (the only beers she'd consistantly drink). I did try real hard to see if I could make an ah ha beer that we might drink together. I'm not a fan of wheat beers, but I made one for her. She wound up not liking it until I put a lot of raspberries in it. I also made a milk stout loaded with a lb of lactose that she enjoyed if it was cold enough. After awhile, we gave up on trying to find a mutual brew. We'd drink wine together...and if we went to a beer place, she'd find her lambic or cider beer.

Brew this Summer Lime Wit. She'll like it.

Briess Pilsen 3lb
Briess Vienna Malt 1lb
Briess White Wheat Malt 4lb
Flaked Rice 1lb
Mash at 155 for 1h
Goldings hops 4.4% for 60min
Goldings hops 4.4% for 5min
1tsp irish moss for 20min
S04 dry yeast
Ferment at 67F
Zest from 2 limes added to primary

OG=1.043
FG=1.008
ABV=4.5%
IBU=10
Color=4

You could do this english brown

Maris Otter 30%
Pale Malt 60%
Crystal 120L 10%

Mash at 152 deg for 60 min.

E.K. Goldings 22 IBUs 60 min, 2oz @ 4.75v AAU
E.K. Goldings 5.8 IBUs 30 min, 1oz @ 4.75 AAU
1 tsp Irish Moss last 15 min

Nottingham yeast, fmt @ 64 deg

OG - 1.054
FG - 1.010

Hoegarden. Very easy drinking and pleasant Belgian. If not get her some Woodchuck Rasberry Cider. If she doesn't like that, then you're in trouble.

Be happy that she is curious enough about your hobby to at least taste your beers. My girlfriend won't even touch mine, but I don't try to force them on her either. I learned a long time ago that the more you try to force something on someone, the more they will resent you for it.

Thanks for the replies so far! As I mentioned my wife is great. I would never force something on her. Trying to find a beer she likes is what she wants. She did try a Breckenridge 471 IPA, go figure, and did not turn up her nose. So we will keep trying and I will keep you guys posted when we find one.

My wife is picky about beer and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. She claims she doesn't like IPAs but her favorite beer is an IPA. Women in general like fruit flavored beers. You put raspberries in anything and she'll drink it. I say keep testing commercial brews on her and when you find one she really likes (not made by Bud) find a similar recipe or clone.

My fiance isn't crazy about beer either, but last summer I made Jamil's Belgian Wit and she loved it. Will you wife like it, don't know, but it might be worth a try. Just my $.02

:mug:

I also second the idea that if she doesn't like beer, don't try to force the issue.

That being said, if you are looking for a recommendation, my English Summer Ale has been well liked by non-craft drinkers both female and male.

English Summer Ale
Blonde Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/16/2010
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.75 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Stove Top
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
1.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.75 %
0.25 lb Caramalt 10-15L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.30 oz Challenger [7.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.4 IBU
1.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Salt (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.75 gal Distilled Water Water
1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.040 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.006 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.82 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.42 %
Bitterness: 19.4 IBU Calories: 173 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.4 SRM

Austin Homebrew Supply has a Honey Hibiscus Wit that is awesome. It's also kind of reddish/pink.

My girl LOVED this, and I liked it too - quickest empty keg yet, EASILY.

img_0251.jpg

Women in general like fruit flavored beers.

Sorry to jump in here (again) but I totally disagree with that. Most men THINK women go for fruity beers. Sure, some women do like fruity beers. But so do some men. I only know ONE woman who likes fruity beers.

Most of us like a variety of different beers, just like men do. Some women love oatmeal stouts, especially coffee drinkers. Some women love IPAs with the big hop flavor and aroma. Some women like lagers. It irks me beyond belief to hear someone say, "Women like fruity beers".

Yeah, I kind of feel that unless you find a style she really likes, I wouldn't brew anything specifically for her. Take her somewhere that offers a large sampler tray, like a brewpub or a bar that specializes in having a ridiculous number of beers on tap. Also, have her try some cider, mead, graff or apfelwein (the latter two would be rather hard to find commercially.)

Austin Homebrew Supply has a Honey Hibiscus Wit that is awesome. It's also kind of reddish/pink.

:off:That beer looks awesome! You should post that in the "Pink Beer" thread... the OP would certainly appreciate that ^_^

I have been thinking about doing a hibiscus weissbier of some kind and really want that color to come out. I have a hibiscus just about to bloom; how much hibiscus came with the kit?

EDIT: Your dog is super adorable!

If your wife doesn't like beer yet, homebrew is highly unlikely to sway her. You best bet will be to start buying good quality commercial beer until you find a style she likes. Once she starts drinking "a" beer style, then you can start expanding her horizons.

With a very few exceptions, homebrewed beers are not nearly as good or a clean tasting as a well done commercial beer. If you are just starting out, your best bet will be to get a beer foot in the door, then expand her horizons.

For example, my wife loves beer, yet she rarely finds my beer good enough to tempt her away from the craft beers she likes. Remember, you think your beer is awesome because you made it, to others it is just beer, and yours isn't likely the best thing available.

I would try some wheat beers, Oktoberfests, pils, or maybe some sour beers. You never know what people will like and I have found that those who are convinced they don't like beer often end up liking counterintuitive things. My best example, is that women who think beer is gross will often really like IPAs if you don't set them up for failure. Point out the interesting notes (floral, pine, herbal, etc. ) not "thgis is crazy bitter and hard core!". Presentation is a huge part of getting people into new things.

That, or follow Yoop's advice and just make something she does like.

:off:That beer looks awesome! You should post that in the "Pink Beer" thread... the OP would certainly appreciate that ^_^

I have been thinking about doing a hibiscus weissbier of some kind and really want that color to come out. I have a hibiscus just about to bloom; how much hibiscus came with the kit?

EDIT: Your dog is super adorable!

I think it was 4 oz of dried flowers for the 5 gallon batch.

Thanks. Rusty is an awesome pooch. He's real smart too. He's my garage/brewing partner.

I think for some women it's the bitterness they don't like (at least among my friends).

Has she tried Unibroe Ephemere? That has a lot of carbonation and also a lot of apple taste, that might be sparkly and fruity enough for her.. (and there's a few clone recipes out there for it).

... and I would also like to dispell the notion that women like fruity beers. :)

In general, I don't drink anything with fruit in it unless it's a lambic. I've never been a big fan of commercially brewed fruity beers, except for Unibroue's Ephemere (and that's probably because my taste buds love the wacky over-the-top carbonation and phenolics their beer seems to have)

Bud Light is the "making love in a canoe" beer as far as I'm concerned, it's on par with Zima (which a LOT of women used to drink back in the day).

Maybe she likes "corny" beers.. you could try a Mexican-style lager?

Anyway, from a female perspective, I disliked most beer until I tried my first Belgian (I seem to recall it was Chimay Red) - and it was an instant favorite. The caramel and fruit I tasted in that beer was like some sort of magical elixir (little did I know that it was the yeast and not actual fruit). Have you tried Victory's "Golden Monkey" - I think that's a rather nice beer that someone new to tasting might enjoy.

Has she tried Unibroe Ephemere? That has a lot of carbonation and also a lot of apple taste, that might be sparkly and fruity enough for her.. (and there's a few clone recipes out there for it).

Funny you mention that one. I got a 4 pack of this for us yesterday, and she's had two already.

Funny you mention that one. I got a 4 pack of this for us yesterday, and she's had two already.

Win!! :)

Now if you end up making a clone, let us all know how it turns out! (I'm thinking I would love to clone this someday myself)

everybody's tastebuds is different.
my g/f likes the BMC styles for the most part, and I get her to try my beers as well as other beers that I buy along the way. she doesn't do full body shivers when she tries IPAs anymore, which is good, but she still doesn't really care for most of them.

I think one of the problems is she doesn't know what she does/doesn't like about the beers. my wheat beer was too hoppy? my pale ale too dark and heavy, etc.

she has said in the past the she doesn't like any wheat beers, but she'll drink an bells oberon anytime she gets the chance.

i'd suggest having her try different beers you can buy and find out what she likes and doesn't like and try and help her understand the differences...if he wants to

Wild Blue blueberry lager. My wife doesn't like most beers, but she likes this one.

unfortunately it's made by Busch, but it doesn't taste like busch, lucky for her

I disagree with wine coolers, but what I do agree with are wheat beers. I've never found a person who doesn't like a good wheat beer. Heck, I wouldn't do anything fancy such as a Wit, I'd just brew a good ol lightly hopped wheat beer.

Here's a good one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/.

Agreed, What's not to like about a good wheat!

I can drink those all summer long!

I'm lucky my wife likes all kinds of beer. Especially those that taste like deserts!:tank:

She doesn't like beer. Period. Face it. SHE DOESN'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!! So don't try to convert her.

What DOES she like????? If you don't know, ask her. Then see if you can replicate it.

My wife recently told me she thoroughly enjoyed an espresso stout at a pizza joint near by. Guess my next brew will try to duplicate what she likes. . . . . . .

NRS

Well since my post has been resurrected I thought I would update you on my wife's beer tastings. She has found a couple beers she liked. While in Manhattan at Zum Schneider she had an Aventinus on tap as well as their Schneider Weiss and liked both. Guess now I need to try and replicate those. Anyone had success in doing clones of these brews?

Back