Low Alpha Hops best for flavour/aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I may be completely off the mark here, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that low alpha hops deliver more in terms of flavour and aroma. Would be great if you guys could offer some clarity on this. It got me thinking about my last IPA. It was quite generously hopped with Centennial. Lots of late additions, and also dry hopped, yet the end result although very tasty indeed, did not deliver that pungent definitive IPA flavour/aroma character that I love in IPA's. It was plenty bitter, but fell a little bit short on the big flavour/aroma. The Centennial I used were about 12% AA. So does my question have any bearing on this? Or have I started dreaming up things to justify my criticisms?! :D

all hops can be used for all additions, but generally lower are for aroma/flabor and higher for bittering and some for both. Sounds like you are in need of more late additions. Post the recipe and method let the guys give you some ideas.

Alpha acids do not determine if the hop would be a good aroma variety, it is (technically) the ratio of alpha to beta acids with examples being all the "noble" varieties. Want that big IPA flavor/aroma? Dry hop with Simcoe (12%AA, answer your question?) and cascade at a rate of 3-5 oz per 5 gallon batch.

The late hop addions were 0.75oz @ 20 mins, 5 mins, and 1 min and I dry hopped with 2oz. Perhaps I am being a bit shy with the hops, but I figured that would just the right ammount. I haven't used centennial that often but loved it in the commerical beers I had. My brew is tasty as I said just lacking in that area

Back