Carl's Ale Wërks - M.O.N.B. SMaSH!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl_g

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65*F
Tasting Notes
Super Simple All-grain SMaSH. Easy to Make, Easier to drink.
10 lbs Crisp Maris Otter (4.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
0.70 oz Northern Brewer [9.80%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [9.80%] (30 min)
0.30 oz Northern Brewer [9.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 154 degrees for 60 minutes. Sparge to get boil volume. Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 65 degrees. Add yeast, and ferment at 65 for 14 days. Rack into secondary 14 days, add 1 tsp. Knox gelatin with 1/2 cup of water on day 9 of secondary. Keg and after 2 weeks on the gas this beer is fully ready to drink. I carbonated it on the high side (3.0 - 3.2 volumes CO2).

This beer is perfect for the summer time and a super easy recipie for someone looking to get into all grain-brewing. You can buy the recipie here. I am really blown away at how something so simple could taste so good. The beer is very quaffable. It's perfect for summertime sitting on your deck or wherever it is that you like to kick back. This seems to be a hit with the BMC drinkers.

I have found that Marris Otter takes a long time to clear, that is why I used the gelatin. I have found it to work so well that I use it in all my brews now.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. Below is a picture of this finished product.

SMaSH_.jpg

I'ts been a while since I had this.. and I am not the best beer critique, however, I think it is a very balanced beer. Not too bitter, not malty. I really like the toasty character of the MO and the Northern Brewer has a very distinct smell/taste. To me it is kinda woodsy or earthy if that makes sense. You don't get the citrus that you get from a lot of other hops.
I need to make this again soon.

Thanks Carl. I was going to do a couple SMaSH brews on my new system at first, so this would be a good candidate. I've got lots of Maris O. and this would be good way to exploit its characteristics. I don't have any NB hops, bit I could try with some noble variety.

Thanks,
TB

Back