Boston Lager Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I would love to clone a Boston Lager, but am not even sure what style it falls under. I know it is a lager, and they use Haulter and Tettnager hops as well as two-row barley and carmel 60L, but I have no clue where to start.

Any help?

This recipe is apparently pretty close according to people at Sam Adams, http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=6701, although I haven't checked it out myself. A lot of people consider a Boston Lager a Vienna style lager, others call it a dark American lager, but it doesn't really fit into either style perfectly.

Dude that is great thanks. One last question, I'm only doing partial mashes right now....What would be a good extract to use. Should I just use a light extract or maybe an amber?

The Sam Adams website is very helpful as far as ingredients go. Pale and crystal malts along with Tettnanger, Hallertau Mittlefruh and "German Noble" hops are all listed. The beer is listed at 13 deg Plato (about OG 1.050). I think the blending of German hops has enabled SA to reduce its' dependence on the Hallertau Mittlefruh which was always highly touted in their old advertising but is very limited in production. The beer itself does not fit neatly into BJCP style categories but is in no way a Vienna other than having a similar color. Think of SA lager as a German pils with crystal malt.

5 gallons

8.5 lbs pale/pils malt
.75 lb Crystal 60L
SA does a decoction mash, try 131F for 20 minutes and 151F for 60 minutes. If you're not up for the decoction just go with the main rest.

1 oz Tettnager @ 60 minutes
1 oz Spalt @ 30 minutes
1 oz Hallertau Mittlefruh @ 10 minutes

Yeast suggestions are either the Wyeast 2035 or 2042.

This should get you pretty close to the color, ABV and basic flavor of SA.

Back