Need some help perfecting my clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
Its a Mirror Pond clone. heres the original post and recipe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10355

Its drinking time :ban: and last night a did a taste test with the real MP and my clone side by side. The results, mines too bitter. Well I can fix that easily enough but the real problem is the real MP is a lot more complex in flavors. I'm not a noob at drinking beer but I am at trying to explain the flavors so bare with me. Its got several fruity flavors that I can't explain. At first I said they were malty but I don't think thats the case. I think they might be from the hops.

Is there a specific hop that might give these flavors more than another. I used all Cascades and over hopped because I didn't adjust for the fact that I used pellets instead of whole.

The cascades normally give me a nice grapefruit character if that's what you mean by fruity. You could try shifting some of your bittering dosage to your flavor/aroma dose.

If by fruity you mean more apple-y, then I'd say try a more estery yeast.

I find that Mirror pond has a complex-ish malty after-taste included with the hoppy-grapefruit-ish taste at the end...I'm going to add a bit of Victory Malt next time...

Back