Metallic alkaline taste from starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewcrew02

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So in 2 separate batches I got a BAD alkaline metallic taste. My first thought was sanitation problems, but I haven't changed sanitary processes between batches so probably not. I'm making starters now to harvest yeast and pitch healthy. Here comes my question... before I started using my new stainless 4qt. to make starter wort I was using a Teflon coated (non-stick of some sort) one before it. It had some scratches, but assumed star san, boiling water, then adding and boiling DME would be ok. So did I get 1) Teflon in the starter 2) leeched metal from exposed scratches 3) infection or 4) all of or a mix of 1, 2, and 3. Thanks for any insight.

Did you taste the starter wort and experience this metallic taste?

That would be the first thing I'd look at. If not, then it's something else in your process.

metallic taste is almost always either:
  • impurities in your water,
  • using too many minerals if you're doing water adjustments,
  • or from your equipment (rust, improper passivation, etc.)

metallic taste is almost always either:
  • impurities in your water,
  • using too many minerals if you're doing water adjustments,
  • or from your equipment (rust, improper passivation, etc.)

Brewing Friday... here are my adjustments:
- Switching from aluminum to stainless
- PH balance since I'm in Austin (tap water=9.6!!!)
- SMaSH and one of the same yeasts from harvest.
Should be a good test; however I'm not keeping a control so maybe not a good test.

Brewing Friday... here are my adjustments:
- Switching from aluminum to stainless
- PH balance since I'm in Austin (tap water=9.6!!!)
- SMaSH and one of the same yeasts from harvest.
Should be a good test; however I'm not keeping a control so maybe not a good test.

Sounds a like a good plan but I would use fresh yeast if you are using harvested yeast from the fermented batch. While I am not completely sure, if there were metallic tastes associated with the harvested batch you may bring that unknowingly into the new batch. Using fresh yeast ensures a clean trial.

Sounds a like a good plan but I would use fresh yeast if you are using harvested yeast from the fermented batch. While I am not completely sure, if there were metallic tastes associated with the harvested batch you may bring that unknowingly into the new batch. Using fresh yeast ensures a clean trial.

Sorry I should have clarified... Same yeast strain but from a different harvest where I used my new stainless pot. :cross:

Back