Beer has no head tastes flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webs

Reaction score
I just tried my first beer( a nut brown ale) and when I poured it into the glass it had no head and tasted flat. I don't know what I could of done wrong. If you have any ideas to what could of gone wrong please let me know!

Cheers

How long has the beer been in the bottle? at what temp is the beer being stored? How much priming sugar did you add? how did you add it? What was your OG? FG?

Give more of your process, and you'll get a better diagnosis if there is anything actually wrong.

Rule of thumb is that you need at least 3 weeks at 70 degrees to properly bottle condition your beer.

I stored it in the bottles for two weeks and stored it at around 50 degrees or so. The og was 1.044 the fg was about 1.10.

I stored it in the bottles for two weeks and stored it at around 50 degrees or so. The og was 1.044 the fg was about 1.10.

That's why. Ale yeast go dormant below about 58 degrees, and go SLLLOOOOWWWW below about 63 degrees. Take the beer someplace where it's at least 70 degrees if you can. In three weeks, they'll be carbed up.

(The FG was 1.010 I assume)

Carbonation helps aceenutuate the head better,also depends what was in the nut brown that will give it a good head, ive had a lot of commercial brown that dont hbutave really great heads on them though, just depends on the recipe,if you want that in the future i would look into the things that help like wheat etc.. There are things that reduce head retention also. But for now you just need temp and time to decide that.

Back