Brooklyn Black Ops for trade.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your still interested I have access to Pliny and other so cal beers for black ops or other east coast beers I can't get here.

Yeah I'm still interested. I just gotta check the bottle shop tonight to see if i can still get the black ops. Its starting to thin out by me. What else would you be interested in from the east? Not interested in Pliny, but looking for some RR sours.

I should be able to get supplication and temptation but I won't know for sure for a couple days. Ill let you know when I get them.

Nizzle, I consider KBS to be "crazy stuff". Let me know if you would ever like to trade some for Black Ops. Same goes for The Pliny offer.

Just did 07-13 on new years. 13 is by far the best batch.
Employee only (not for sale) 07 came in second, completely different beer 08-13

Wow. That's a crazy vertical. I really liked last years so I'm pumped for this years now if its getting some good reviews.

Just picked up 4 '13's. I need an 11 for my 10-13 vertical. Hoping to find some more around so I can start drinking some.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388816422.750102.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388816438.931189.jpg

Yea, problem i exerience with BO is that they bottle condition with a champagne yeast.
The 08 had decent carb and absolutley no body, and you can tell how the body has dimineshed thru each year 12-08 also
13 was great, but i stand by my earlier statement. I wish they still brewed the recipe from 07. Decent body but tons of dry bakers chocolate creamyiness, like a chocolate shake. 07 wouldnt hold its weight to any big stout, (i dont think any black ops would) its still a well made beer but IMO bottled wrong

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Yea, problem i exerience with BO is that they bottle condition with a champagne yeast. The 08 had decent carb and absolutley no body, and you can tell how the body has dimineshed thru each year 12-08 also 13 was great, but i stand by my earlier statement. I wish they still brewed the recipe from 07. Decent body but tons of dry bakers chocolate creamyiness, like a chocolate shake. 07 wouldnt hold its weight to any big stout, (i dont think any black ops would) its still a well made beer but IMO bottled wrong

Champagne yeast won't dry it out/cause it to lose body.... It won't ferment any sugars the beer yeast didn't, unless the beer yeast crapped out from too high of alcohol %.

Champagne yeast won't dry it out/cause it to lose body.... It won't ferment any sugars the beer yeast didn't, unless the beer yeast crapped out from too high of alcohol %.

Champagne/Wine yeast eat different sugars than ale yeast.

Regardless, different yeast strains can ferment different sugars.
After years and autolysis flavor compounds and dextrins will change.
Im sorry but for the amount of carb that 08 had, that yeast was not done working.

Source?

I have bottled a lot of beers with them with normal amounts of priming sugar without over carbonation. If 08 was over carbed, they either bottles early, primed too much, the primary yeast petered out, or it was infected. Now if you primary with it, that is a different story.

Source?

I have bottled a lot of beers with them with normal amounts of priming sugar without over carbonation.

Not overcarbed, but theres no way with being corked that it would pour a finger head after 5 years.

Its just my opinion but it was clear between the group that the body gained as you went fresher or how it thinned if you went older. Only thing i can relate that to is the bottle conditioning...or they literally raised mash temps 1 degree a year.

Who knows...

It's so good. There's a local bbq place that still has some for on site consumption for $30 a bottle. Good deal IMO.

Is the new black ops sought after? I have access to a lot of the newly bottled black ops if anyone is interested.

Is the new black ops sought after? I have access to a lot of the newly bottled black ops if anyone is interested.

Black ops is weird. IMO its underrated in the BA world but will sit on the shelves at some places and at others has a 1pp bottle limit. It could be the price but for a big bottled big beer that aged in pretty high quality bourbon barrels it's reasonable.

Either way I've got to get out and stock up. It's at the top of my list of big beers and I don't feel that bad drinking it instead of keeping it in the cellar.

Bigmike, ive actually never tried it lol. And ive always had access to it. Maybe ill have to grab one and try it one day. Thanks for the info!

If anyone is in need let me know, i think my local shop had several cases sitting around untouched.

Sorry, I didn't mean to thread-jack, I thought you might have gotten rid of yours. When I replied to JohnGonk, he made it sound like Black Ops was a little more widely available, rather than a brewery only release.

I like to reserve the Darkness that I have for more hard to obtain beers. Waiting in line out overnight in November in Minnesota to only be able to buy 6 bottles makes Darkness a little more valuable in a trade to me. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to thread-jack, I thought you might have gotten rid of yours. When I replied to JohnGonk, he made it sound like Black Ops was a little more widely available, rather than a brewery only release.

I like to reserve the Darkness that I have for more hard to obtain beers. Waiting in line out overnight in November in Minnesota to only be able to buy 6 bottles makes Darkness a little more valuable in a trade to me. :)

Yeah, for me the black ops is available. Im not sure who gets it so i was only offering it up to anyone who doesnt get it.

Yes but were people able to drive in after the line cleared and still get bottles?

Yes but were people able to drive in after the line cleared and still get bottles?

I can't answer that, as I was in line at 4:30p the day before and got my 12 bottles so didn't need to go back and look for more. But even if someone could, it is a bit different than being able to go to hundreds of stores across 25 states and get it, as one can do with Black Ops.

Also, a little Darkness does hit a handful of stores after DD, but it is pretty limited.

I can't answer that, as I was in line at 4:30p the day before and got my 12 bottles so didn't need to go back and look for more. But even if someone could, it is a bit different than being able to go to hundreds of stores across 25 states and get it, as one can do with Black Ops.

Also, a little Darkness does hit a handful of stores after DD, but it is pretty limited.

What he said. On the morning of DD, they had maybe 100 extra wristbands left after going through the line that was there at 9am, but even then, those were gone by those that showed up in the morning hoping that there would be some.

There was most likely some left at the end of the day, because not everyone that gets a wristband buys all 6 bottles, but even then, what they had was likely mostly sold. I didn't see any on the shelves at any of the liquor stores I frequent after DD.

The beer culture in the Twin Cities is such that anytime anything fairly limited hits the shelf these days, it sells out fairly instantly. Central Waters (nowhere near the cult following that Surly has) just came out with their BBS, and it sold out at one store I go to in less than an hour, apparently. Darkness is likely grabbed out of the hand of the guy trying to set it on the shelf.

All of that being said, it turns out that we get Black Ops here also. I was at a beer geek party over the weekend and a friend bought a bottle that he found locally. I had no idea because I hadn't seen it. As it turns out, I wasn't as much of a fan as I thought I might be. It had more of an oak character to it than a bourbon barrel character, IMHO. I'm personally not interested in trading for it anymore.

Regardless, I wasn't trying to imply that the Black Ops wasn't valuable, or even as valuable as Darkness. Nor was I trying to insult the OP by saying that Black Ops wasn't a rare beer. I was just giving my own personal valuation of the Darkness that I waited in line to buy. Black Ops is still a very good beer, and I'm sure that there will be someone interested in a trade for a bottle.

Cheers!
:mug:

Back