Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been 3 weeks and 2 days and there is still airlock activity.

Mixed 3 Oct. Thick Krausen after 2 weeks. SG 1.010
22 Oct SG 1.002. Added campden tabs and sorbate.
26 Oct there is still airlock activity.
Very little, but enough make me afraid to back sweeten and bottle.

First 2 batches turned out great, but not sure about this one.

Any thoughts on this. Should I keep waiting to bottle. Why is there airlock activity after the sorbate and campden?

It's been 3 weeks and 2 days and there is still airlock activity.

Mixed 3 Oct. Thick Krausen after 2 weeks. SG 1.010
22 Oct SG 1.002. Added campden tabs and sorbate.
26 Oct there is still airlock activity.
Very little, but enough make me afraid to back sweeten and bottle.

First 2 batches turned out great, but not sure about this one.

Any thoughts on this. Should I keep waiting to bottle. Why is there airlock activity after the sorbate and campden?

Couple things. Before you added the sorbate and campden tabs did you make sure it was done fermenting? Typically folks take hydrometer readings on three consecutive days. No change = Finished fermentation. If it wasn't done fermenting the sorbate and campden won't stop it a majority of the time.

Also, you'll hear this preached over and over on this forum, but air lock activity or bubbles are not indication of active fermentation. It could be any number of things causing the bubbles.

My advice, if the hydrometer still reads 1.002 you're OK to bottle. If it's lower, you might need to let fermentation finish.

Couple things. Before you added the sorbate and campden tabs did you make sure it was done fermenting? Typically folks take hydrometer readings on three consecutive days. No change = Finished fermentation. If it wasn't done fermenting the sorbate and campden won't stop it a majority of the time.

Also, you'll hear this preached over and over on this forum, but air lock activity or bubbles are not indication of active fermentation. It could be any number of things causing the bubbles.

My advice, if the hydrometer still reads 1.002 you're OK to bottle. If it's lower, you might need to let fermentation finish.

I didn't verify it was finished. Was trying to stop it between 1010-1015 like the recipe.

The hydrometer is still reading 1.002.

If it's done fermenting, what could be causing the bubbles?

My other batches didn't do this, so just trying to figure out what's going on with it.

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't verify it was finished. Was trying to stop it between 1010-1015 like the recipe.

The hydrometer is still reading 1.002.

If it's done fermenting, what could be causing the bubbles?

My other batches didn't do this, so just trying to figure out what's going on with it.

Thanks for the reply.

Most likely its just still releasing CO2. If you plan to carbonate it's no big deal to have CO2 in solution when you go to bottle.

One thing that could be causing it to gas off is the temp. Gases more readily dissolve in liquids at lower temp. So if you're cider ferments and then heats up just ever so slightly it'll release CO2 in the form of little bubbles.

One step I think the recipe kind of glazes over is that you need to rack the cider when it gets to the desired range of 1010 - 1015. From what I've read, USMike has had good results getting Nottingham to stop fermenting with that method. Pretty sure he doesn't try to use chemicals to stop it.

Personally, I just let it run dry and don't try to stop fermentation. Then I add sorbate and kmeta, back sweeten, and force carb. There's no wrong way as long as you end up with something you enjoy drinking!

It took two days for mine to carb up. I just took another taste test and it is deliciously tart and fizzy! I really like it but wondering if this will mellow as time goes on or will this intensify?

Just knocked up 2 gallons of this. I used a caramel tea bag in each for extra flavour and tannins. I can't get hold of the frozen concentrate over her in the uk so I'll omit that bit I think. Can't be bothered to make some. Really looking forward to trying it!

Made this exactly one week ago and just took a gravity reading, 1.040. I didn't take an OG but I am getting worried because I have read that a lot of people are reaching 1.010 in like 9 days. Should I be worried or just relax?

Also, If I bottle, reach desired carb level, and store in the fridge, is there a need for pasteurization since the yeast will be dormant in the bottle in the fridge and no longer carbing the cider?

Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone substituted dextrose for table sugar when making this? I understand the changes in flavor but I don't have a HB store close and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if table sugar would substitute with little to no bad effects.

Prices on dextrose are reasonable, till you get to the shipping part. They seem to have found a work around on Amazon Prime too in which they just add to the cost of the product there by making the original cost higher (as if i wouldn't notice :cross:)

Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone substituted dextrose for table sugar when making this? I understand the changes in flavor but I don't have a HB store close and wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if table sugar would substitute with little to no bad effects.

Prices on dextrose are reasonable, till you get to the shipping part. They seem to have found a work around on Amazon Prime too in which they just add to the cost of the product there by making the original cost higher (as if i wouldn't notice :cross:)

I just use table sugar an don't think it really makes a noticeable difference.

Channel66 said:
I know there is an updated version of the caramel recipe, where is it at? I'm mobile so sifting through the pages is a pain

Post #420

Made this exactly one week ago and just took a gravity reading, 1.040. I didn't take an OG but I am getting worried because I have read that a lot of people are reaching 1.010 in like 9 days. Should I be worried or just relax?

Also, If I bottle, reach desired carb level, and store in the fridge, is there a need for pasteurization since the yeast will be dormant in the bottle in the fridge and no longer carbing the cider?

I'd check it. Mine was ready in about that time. If the airlock slows way down take a couple min to check. It went faster than I thought.

I had no airlock activity at all. I could smell the fermentation and like I said before, I'm down to 1.040 but it just doesn't seem to be moving as fast as others.

I had no airlock activity at all. I could smell the fermentation and like I said before, I'm down to 1.040 but it just doesn't seem to be moving as fast as others.

I'm sure temps play a part. Mine were around seventy. I also added yeast nutrient to mine. When it finally started going it was thumping like crazy for the first day, then after that it slowed down until it was super slow.

My next batch I want to try to let it go much longer, and then I will back sweeten and add more concentrate. I used 3 cans of concentrate which seems to have mellowed out just in this short amount of time. It's good! But I'd like it just a little sweeter.

WWWHHEEEW!!! Read this whole thread front to back and just finished! This is my first post as well as my first time trying to brew ANYTHING. Before I go on, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to the thread as well as Mike for the recipe. This is currently fermenting in the carboy now and this is how it's been so far:

- Added 5 gals of UV pasteurized cider, 2lbs of dextrose and 1 packet of Nottingham yeast to carboy on 10/20. Got an initial SG reading of 1.060

- 2 weeks later (11/3) and the cider had cleared some (1.015-1.020).

My plan is to run this another week and then stop fermentation. I don't really mind if it gets fairly dry as I am super busy during the week with school and work. The batch is currently at a friends (excellent brewer btw) house as he is letting me use his equipment as well as guiding me along the way. The plan of attack looks like the following:

- Rack cider into a keg on top of k-meta and k-sorbate and let sit for 24-48 hrs.

- Make the caramel sauce and mix with 3 cans of FAJC to make a back sweetening solution. Bring solution to room temp and then add to cider in keg.

- Force carbonate.

- Bottle and cap.

In an effort to avoid blowing off a hand and making a mess in the kitchen, I've opted to sulfite and force carb. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be sufficient enough to halt fermentation. I'm hoping I can get all of this done before thanksgiving so I can hand some out to the relatives. Any input from you cider brewers is greatly appreciated!

On another note, my said friend just finished a batch of his own hard cider. He used 5 gals of the same cider and yeast as I did and back sweetened with cider he concentrated via the stovetop. The end result was decent but like someone said earlier, I think heating the cider to a concentrate altered the taste. Tasted quite acidic.

Has anyone had success bottling and keeping the bottles in the fridge once the desired carb level has been reached? I have the room and am trying to avoid stovetop pasteurizing.

Planning to make this tomorrow, can't wait. Quick question, and I apologize if it's already been answered but I can make this as a still cider (adding the campden tabs) and then rack straight to a keg and back sweeten as needed? Since I'll be force carbing is that the easiest way to do this?

WWWHHEEEW!!! Read this whole thread front to back and just finished! This is my first post as well as my first time trying to brew ANYTHING. Before I go on, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to the thread as well as Mike for the recipe. This is currently fermenting in the carboy now and this is how it's been so far:

- Added 5 gals of UV pasteurized cider, 2lbs of dextrose and 1 packet of Nottingham yeast to carboy on 10/20. Got an initial SG reading of 1.060

- 2 weeks later (11/3) and the cider had cleared some (1.015-1.020).

My plan is to run this another week and then stop fermentation. I don't really mind if it gets fairly dry as I am super busy during the week with school and work. The batch is currently at a friends (excellent brewer btw) house as he is letting me use his equipment as well as guiding me along the way. The plan of attack looks like the following:

- Rack cider into a keg on top of k-meta and k-sorbate and let sit for 24-48 hrs.

- Make the caramel sauce and mix with 3 cans of FAJC to make a back sweetening solution. Bring solution to room temp and then add to cider in keg.

- Force carbonate.

- Bottle and cap.

In an effort to avoid blowing off a hand and making a mess in the kitchen, I've opted to sulfite and force carb. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be sufficient enough to halt fermentation. I'm hoping I can get all of this done before thanksgiving so I can hand some out to the relatives. Any input from you cider brewers is greatly appreciated!

I'm very interested to hear how this works. How much kmeta and marinate will you use?

Going to use a beer gun to bottle?

I'm sure it's so where in the thread, but I am lazy and am not looking through it all. I do t have a Wegman's, what other juices have people used?

I've been wanting to try a cider for a while now, and this recipe looks too good not to try. So I've got it fermenting away (started last Friday). I do have a couple questions on some of the later steps though:

Part 2 (In about 14 days):
Check for target FG of 1.010 to 1.015

Rack cider into a 5 gallon carboy.

After 24 hours, siphon cider into your bottling bucket.
What's the point of racking to a carboy for just 24 hours? Will letting it sit longer help/hurt anything?

Add the Caramel Syrup and the 5 cans of apple juice concentrate while siphoning to aid in mixing. Bottle the cider and enjoy.

How high is the gravity after adding all the extra sugar from the concentrate and syrup?

I'm sure it's so where in the thread, but I am lazy and am not looking through it all. I do t have a Wegman's, what other juices have people used?

You should be able to use any brand you want, so long as it doesn't have preservatives in it. I typically use BiLo brand (southern home) and it works just fine, but you have options.

I've been wanting to try a cider for a while now, and this recipe looks too good not to try. So I've got it fermenting away (started last Friday). I do have a couple questions on some of the later steps though:

What's the point of racking to a carboy for just 24 hours? Will letting it sit longer help/hurt anything?

How high is the gravity after adding all the extra sugar from the concentrate and syrup?

I'm not sure on the racking part, but the gravity after all of the additions doesn't really matter because all fermentation has been completed at that point (so long as you remember to pasteurize). Your ABV is calculated using your OG (Apple juice and corn sugar) and your FG (BEFORE you add any of the syrup).
Hope that helps.

Making this recipe. 7 days in. Used yeast nutrient, pectin, and fresh apple cider. Its very yellow. It looks more like orange juice than anything else. Still bubbling away.

Will the color mellow within the next 7 days?

Making this recipe. 7 days in. Used yeast nutrient, pectin, and fresh apple cider. Its very yellow. It looks more like orange juice than anything else. Still bubbling away.

OJ? That's way orange in my opinion. I got a nice golden beverage even with Cider...odd color if it's lookin' like OJ.

Side note, my dishwasher method for pasteurizing appears to have failed me for the first time. I have some super active bottles. Nothing explosive, just extremely EXCITED. Lots of large bubbles. I have to let it sit after pouring in a glass for a few minutes to let it calm down...

I'm very interested to hear how this works. How much kmeta and marinate will you use?

Going to use a beer gun to bottle?

When racking to the keg I added kmeta and ksorbate as directed on the labels of both. And yes, plan to use a beer gun. Was down to 1.007 when I sulfited (started at 1.060)

It's sitting outside right now as I'm trying to get it to clear a bit for looks. As someone else pointed out, it looked similar to OJ when I racked it. I plan on back sweetening Thursday and possibly bottling Friday, depending on how much time I have available.

I had this same question with my first batch. It will clear up just give it time. Mine is an Orange color with every batch. Don't worry just give it time....10 days or so.

Mine still looked like OJ after 2 weeks? About to make my caramel sauce/concentrate solution right now. I bought some cinnamon extract to use instead. 1/2 tsp sound right??

Making the back sweetening solution went well! My syrup, when finished, smelled similar to maple syrup. It also seems like the solution is quite viscous which might help when mixing with the cider.

If you guys don't mind mentioning what gravity you ended up with after back sweetening, that'd be great. Thanks

Yup, most of my batches of fermenting Apple Juice turn the color of Orange Juice during the first few days of hard fermentation. See the picture below. After the vigorous fermentation slows down, the color comes back and the juice clears.

ForumRunner_20131112_201106.jpg

Back