Gonna be a Dad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell, no. AG is a piece of cake compared to attempting to mold and shape a human being into a productive member of society.

Aww, just kidding you. Having kids has been one of the greatest joys I can ever imagine- and they are resilient and wonderful.

I remember an experienced parent told me to relax when I was having my first. I was so afraid I'd screw it up! And she said, "You've never had a baby before- but this baby has never had a parent before! They don't know when you don't do it "right". Just do your best, and you'll be great.".

So now, I pass that knowledge on to you. I'm so thrilled for you! Congrats! :ban:

Congratulations, man! Best thing that'll ever happen to you. Hurry up and brew, though - you ain't gonna have any time once the baby's here!

I'm very excited. Its been a life long dream for me to have my own house and to fill it with kids. I got the house two years ago, now the second half. Thanks you both. I'm totally pumped! :rockin:

the_bird said:
Congratulations, man! Best thing that'll ever happen to you. Hurry up and brew, though - you ain't gonna have any time once the baby's here!

+1 on that, brother. You might also want to get as much sleep as possible while you can!

Awesome!!

My boy is 18 months old and it's simply incredible.
You get to watch another human being develop and grow...and surprise you everyday with what they've learn the day before.

As Yooper said....they are tough little bugger.

I have a 2 year old and it changed my life. Brewing has taken a second to fatherhood. I tried to tell myself that I could just do an overnight brew 1 or 2 times a month and keep the beer flowing but it's amazing how much energy child raising takes out of you.

I might suugest you re-embrace the extract kit.

That said, we are aleready planning our next one. Don't want to have the siblings too far apart in age and we want a large family.

As long as you can manage to keep your eyes open, it's gonna be a blast!

I'm sure someone will point you this way, but just in case...
get this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006J021C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
and make sure you watch it before the baby comes. If possible, make sure you both know how to make a nice tight baby-burrito so well that you can do it without the benefit of consciousness.
There are lots of other tips, tricks, folklore, stuff that worked for some people, stuff that didn't. There are 5 million books with strong opinions on what you NEED to do. I actually encourage you to pick up several and start researching, but remember, the goal is not to reproduce what someone else did. Take all the info and advice and build what works for you.
Here's my best building block to offer. This seems to have worked well for both my kids and the friends that have tried it as well.
Start right off with a structured, 8 times a day feeding schedule. Every 3 hours make sure that baby is filled up, and then don't use feeding as a pacifier in between. It may seem like masochism to set an alarm and wake up at night for a feeding, but some research (and our experience) shows that this kind of regulation helps them move to a nocturnal schedule quicker. My daughter slept through the night in 4 weeks, my son in about 2. We were waking HIM up for feeding until we just gave up and increased the number of feedings in the day.
Congrats,
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! As other have said, it's the most amazing experience someone can have. I have 4 myself and there's nothing in the world that's more important to me than they are. Nothing brings me more stress or more joy. :D

Being a parent isn't easy, but it's worth it!

Take bird's advice and brew like crazy up until the baby comes! :mug:

As opposed to the fist post on this page we are reading Baby Wise. We are due in 3 months.
Congrats. It is so exciting the first time you feel him/her move. They say a mother becomes a mother when she becomes pregnant and a father becomes a father when the child is born. I believe this because even though you see him the first couple of UltraSounds it is still surreal.

Congrats to you both!
My son couldnt stand to be swaddled, I would wrap him up good and snug and he would pitch a fit until he was out of it.

Congrats on 'slippin one past the goalie'!! My SWMBO and I tried for a loooong time before we had our daughter who is now 5 (going on 25!) I am constantly amazed by her. She has become my assistant brewer and is listed as such on all my brewsheets. Helps stirring the grains when I mash in, helps with cleaning and is getting to be pretty well known down at the LHBS!

As far as reading up on the subject goes, my one recommendation is The Expectant Father. It really helped me out when we were expecting. There are two other books in the series about the first year and toddler years.

Again, cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:
my suggestion is to start drinking heavily!

congrats, and learn to sleep in blocks of say five hours max. :mug:

Congrats! My little guy just turned two, I don't know where the time goes!

You need to hook up with some cool baby clothes like this:

37963056_458864e39a_m.jpg

http://www.tshirthell.com/babyhell.shtml

Congrats on the new addition. My daughter is 16 months old now and getting into everything.:D

While we're tossing out book ideas. My wife read "Baby 411" and it seemed to help--we have a really good baby.

Our next one is on the way in August...

Fill it with kids huh! Please post back on this topic after #2. I love my 2 kids but man can it be stressful with 2 of them fighting over everything and the money going out with clothes and school items and the prices of heating oil and gas right now is really tough on top of a mortgage. I would do it again but 2 would still be my limit.

Congrats. Having had four daughters (three are old enough to enjoy my beer...) there is an inevitable cycle:

• From toddler to 11 you are the end-all, be-all hero of the world.
  • From 12 - 13, you are tolerated but can at times be somewhat of an embarrassment in front of her friends.
  • From 14 - 18, you are an ATM and a nuisance.
  • From 18 - 22, you all of a sudden are becoming more intelligent...as in..."you were right Dad..." But you're still an ATM.
  • After 22, you have regained master of the universe as their world travels have proven that Father does indeed...know best.

Yet despite the trials and wrinkles that parenting throws...you are always loved in a way that cannot be explained.

PS - Get in on the Barleywine brew and swap....tis a perfect beer to age for some milestone celebrations.

BierMuncher said:
Congrats. Having had four daughters (three are old enough to enjoy my beer...) there is an inevitable cycle:
  • From 12 - 13, you are tolerated but can at times be somewhat of an embarrassment in front of her friends.
  • From 18 - 22, you all of a sudden are becoming more intelligent...as in..."you were right Dad..." But you're still an ATM.
  • After 22, you have regained master of the universe as their world travels have proven that Father does indeed...know best.
Yet despite the trials and wrinkles that parenting throws...you are always loved in a way that cannot be explained.

PS - Get in on the Barleywine brew and swap....tis a perfect beer to age for some milestone celebrations.

This is all excellent advice and I yield to your good judgement. I have one question as the (soon to be) father of two girls--what does one do when they attain "dating" age?

That has to be the scariest part for me.

BierMuncher said:

BM nailed that one.....

Unless you dad was an alky drug abusing wife beater.....you will find that you are doing just as he did...and you turned out Ok, right?

Never has RDWAHAHB been more appropriate.....

the_bird said:

Congratulations to you and your lady...

+1 on the brew as much just now as you can. A few big beers to cellar for a while to be drunk whilst you have no time to brew (I assure this will happen!) is a good idea.

Flyin' Lion said:
This is all excellent advice and I yield to your good judgement. I have one question as the (soon to be) father of two girls--what does one do when they attain "dating" age?

That has to be the scariest part for me.
You are fortunate. You can count on them looking out for each other. That's what mine did.

Back