Must Go Places is St. Louis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
The wife and I are headed to St. Louis for a few days later this month. Please help us out and list the must visit/see/do things in and around St. Louis.
-Breweries
-Beer bars
-Bottle shops
-Coffee shops
-Restaurants
-Tourist attractions
-Donut shops

Thanks

The wife and I are headed to St. Louis for a few days later this month. Please help us out and list the must visit/see/do things in and around St. Louis.
-Breweries
-Beer bars
-Bottle shops
-Coffee shops
-Restaurants
-Tourist attractions
-Donut shops

Thanks

Will you be in the city or suburbs? There are so many places, I hope you have plenty of time. Four Hands brewery is a favorite of mine. Perennial, Urban Chestnut, and Civil Life are solid too.
In Maplewood there is Side Project (beer), Strange Donuts, and La Cosheca coffee very near each other.
That's a start and the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure you'll get many more suggestions.

Not beer related, but take the tram up to the top of the Gateway Arch, it's pretty amazing.

Especially if there's a slight breeze, lol.

Not beer related, but take the tram up to the top of the Gateway Arch, it's pretty amazing.

Especially if there's a slight breeze, lol.
Agreed. Very cool experience, made even more exciting with some wind.

As Floored mentioned, be sure to check out Side Project. You have to drink the beer on-site though. They rarely have bottles available to-go. In the same parking lot, there is a restaurant called Boogaloo that is worth checking out. They have swings at the bar which is kind of unique.

Just up the road from Perennial, there is a good restaurant called Iron Barley.

I went to my first game at Busch Stadium yesterday and learned that if you sit anywhere near the dugout, you can go in a small bar area that has Schlafly PA on tap which was a treat compared to the Bud the vendors are slinging. They check your ticket stub when you go in there so I'm assuming you have to sit in that area.

Nick's pub on Manchester
Sump coffee, south city
There's a new bottle shop opening soon called St. Louis Hop Shop. Don't know if they'll be open when you're here.
Baily's Range is good and they have a good beer selection too.

I'm unfamiliar with some of the newer places, but . . .

A-B has a good tour, if you're interested in seeing how beer is made on an industrial scale.

Schlafly is pretty good--they've been around for quite a while--it's near Union Station.

I've spent many many weeks traveling for bidness there, and these are some of my go-to joints.

- Carmines: White table cloth old school restaurant.
- Busch Stadium: Where the baseball game is played and seen.
- Dominic's: Higher end Italian fare.
- Schlafly Bottleworks: Beer and tapas
- Sweetie Pies At the Mangrove: Soul Food!

If you're a barbecue fan Bogart's and Pappy's shouldn't disappoint. Sorry if I'm overloading here. Guess I'm just a fan of St. Louis.

I think you have to do the Arch and Anheuser. Say what you want about their beers, but that facility is impressive.

We went to the zoo when we were there (years ago). It was okay, if you like that type of thing.

I would also check out Schlafly, but mainly because I like their beers.

born and raised in St. Louis, haven't lived there in 10+ years, but parents are still there, so i visit once a year or so.

I'd say:

Not beer related:
Arch, Zoo and Art Museum are worth the price of admission (they are free - it does cost to go to the top of the arch).
Tour of AB is worth your time. Also, see if you can get tickets to Grants Farm.
It's not a trip to St. Louis if you don't stop at Ted Drewes for frozen custard.
I can't stand baseball, but a game at Busch Stadium is also a required event in St. Louis.
Walk around the Hill and you will find good to great Italian food and maybe some decent beer.

Beer related:
Perennial is great. Side Project is also.
I enjoyed Square One Brewing several years ago when in town. Not sure if they are even still there.
Urban Chestnut is solid brewery.

St Louis has lots of little 'bar districts' where you can stumble from bar to bar. The Hill, Soulard, the Landing, UCity loop, St Charles main street, Westport. All these places have 4 - 10 bars ranging from dive bar to music venue to Applebees type places. Take a cab there and a cab home and spend hours wandering around in between.

Back