did i ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregM

Reaction score
Hey everyone, any help anyone can provide me with my dillema would be greatly appreciated...

Yesterday i went out to the local home brew store and decided i would buy a kit ( I have never done this before) . today I started the boil, everything was going fine, and I poured my wort into the plastic bucket ( which I had just washed out with a dilute bleach mixture, thats ok right?) . as soon as I added the fourth gallon of water into the bucket I had realized I forgot to add the gypsum, irish moss, and pellitized finishing hops during the last 5 minutes of the boil as specified in the included instructions.

I right away dumped in those missing ingredients along with the dry yeast right into the bucket, gave it a quick stir with an unsanitized (but clean) ladel from the drawer, set the lid on and here I am worried i might have destroyed the batch.

if its going to come out sub-par i think i want to just scrap it and start over off the bat, rather than wait 3 weeks to find out....
should it come out alright? was that way risky of me to use an unsanitized ladel?
thanks again! have a nice day :rockin:

Your biggest problem here would be the bleach. Chlorine can give you some odd flavors. Doesn't always.

The gypsum probably settled out immediately. No problem.

Adding the Irish moss when you did will do absolutely nothing, it have to be boiled to do its job, but it won't hurt the batch.

Adding the finish hops in the fermenter will change the aroma a bit. People frequently add hops after the ferment, it's called dry hopping.

Yes, there is some risk associated with the ladle. Not much, if it was clean.

I suspect the batch will be fine.

One thing you don't mention is how hot the wort was when you added in the yeast. If you didn't cool it at all before dumping it into the bucket, then it was likely still too hot to pitch the yeast and they are probably severly shocked or dead. If that's the case, go ahead and pitch another packet of rehydrated yeast into it today.

Otherwise, everything david_42 said is right. Irish moss needs to be boiled to be effective. The gypsum likely just settled to the bottom because it is not very soluble. Adding the hops after the boil is fine; that's what dry hopping is.

Back