Any Advice on how to Eliminate Trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sms212

Reaction score
Hello,
Last year, I brewed a Kolsch that ended up winning a homebrew competition despite the amount of trub that was present in the bottles. The flavor was not affected, but I didn't pour the cloudy mess into any tasting glasses. This year, after using a secondary fermentation bucket and letting it sit for about a week before bottling, about 60% of the trub from the last batch was missing, but there is still a good amount present in the bottle. This is the only beer I have had this problem with, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a way to eliminate the trub all together, or at least minimize it to the standard amount that is found in most homebrews. Thanks for reading and for any advice you may offer.

Higher floculating yeast and/or cols crashing for a couple days prior to bottling

Cold crash for a few weeks. Drop the fermentation temp down to about 38 degrees after you fermentation is complete and all that stuff will drop out. You will still have enough yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate but it will take longer, you will still have some yeast sediment regardless from bottle carbonation

Back