American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not brewed this one in such a long time, I tweaked the recipe over several batches to get to my current iteration. the other night I got a bug and brewed this per the original recipe. I want to do a side by side comparo to see how different my version has come from its original recipe.

Just kegged mine. Was in primary for 17 days, then cold crashed for 3 days then racked to keg. Fermented out to 1.008 ish wow. Horrid after taste on the sample though, a bitter astringent kind of taste. Can't find anything in palmers for what I taste so hopefully green?

Even after a 3 day cold crash I had so much suspended yeast! huge yeast cake too. Weird.

Hopefully all settles out and its good in a week for our beer club meeting.

Brewing this recipe right now but I'm increasing the 3rd and 4th addition of hops to 0.5 oz because the alpha acid was only 5%

I brewed this one on Friday. Everything went well, but my boil was a little more vigorous than I had anticipated, and I only ended up with 5 gallons in the fermenter with an OG of 1.058. No biggie, just a little less beer and a little higher ABV. The Notty went to work quickly, and it's fermenting vigorously at about 63 degrees right now. Once it's done, I plan on bottling and letting it sit for about a month before tasting.

I took Friday off, and brewed it up. This is my first time for this recipe. I have it in my fermeezer. The Notty is insanely active!! I couldn't believe it. So I made a video, my SWMBO says I'm officially a beer nerd. What she doesn't know, is I knew that years ago.

Edwort's Haus Pale Ale

Thanks :). In the video, it was set at 68 and beer was 70. I have since dropped it down two degrees to keep the beer at 68.

Just kegged mine. Was in primary for 17 days, then cold crashed for 3 days then racked to keg. Fermented out to 1.008 ish wow. Horrid after taste on the sample though, a bitter astringent kind of taste. Can't find anything in palmers for what I taste so hopefully green?

Even after a 3 day cold crash I had so much suspended yeast! huge yeast cake too. Weird.

Hopefully all settles out and its good in a week for our beer club meeting.

I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Low FG and the same bitter astringent after taste. I thought it was green but its been mellowing for over 2 months now and has only improved a bit. :confused:

Brewed this as my second AG batch. SG came in at 1.054 with just over five gallons in the carboy and pitched Notty. Not sure if the SG will make a big difference, plase chime in with any thoughts.

First time using Cascade hops and really liked the aroma. Thanks for the recipe!

Brewed my first batch of this today. Interestingly, BTP says the OG should be 1.044 (I'm guessing because of differing brewhouse efficiencies), and I hit it dead on (first AG batch I've done that with). Just aerated and pitched, looking forward to drinking it and sharing with my friends over the summer.

Hi,
I have just opened a bottle of this(10 days bottled) and it tasted very good, and it is well carbed with a nice head.
It is also the the first beer i have brewed with water treatment and i don't get the after taste(tcp) i was getting before.
Going to do another batch of this tomorrow, as i order double grain to save postage, but i am going to do Ed's Bavarian Hefeweizen after that, as i do like like a German wheat.

Brewed this grain bill 3 weeks ago but threw in the hops I had left. Ended up using my last half ounce of saaz at 60, Nugget leaf .66oz for each 15, 10, 5, 0 and now Dryhopping in secondary with .66oz Nugget leaf. What a ***** to get into a carboy. All of the resin made it want to stick to the carboy mouth, I'm hopping I didn't produce any unnecessary exposure trying to cram it all in.

Just bottled my batch I brewed on March 22nd. It has been in the secondary for over a month now. I just didn't have the time to bottle it. Hope it makes it even better.

Tasted pretty good going in the bottles.

trying a modified PM version tonight. Im using my new Blingmann 15 gallon pot and doing a double batch. using nottingham on one bucket and german ale yeast on the other
can't wait to get these kegged and ready for a Bierfest BBQ we are going to have at my friends house this summer :mug:

I'm giving this a go as my first AG and I have some questions. Apologies in advance as I'm completely new to AG and I hope these haven't already been answered in the thread so far...

I order from Austin Homebrew and I'm not certain which grain the 2-Row Pale Malt is. They have Brewers 2-Row Malt and Pale Ale Malt. Which one is it?

Also, their Cascade hops are 5%...how do I adjust to get the desired IBUs for this recipe?

And I'm doing 10gal, would I just double everything and follow the steps just as they've been laid out in the OP? Specifically, do I do 3 batch sparges as detailed for the 5gal recipe except with twice the volume of water?

Thanks and sorry for the newb questions.

I just brewed this as my second all grain and so far so good. My question is about how long to leave in the primary. I have read alot of this thread and see that most references were still around ten days but this thread is pretty old. I know there has been a recent push to leave ales on the primary for 4 weeks and that is what I have been adhering too. I am just wondering if anyone does a long primary on this recipe or if everyone is sticking to the original tenish days, thanks.

I like this idea. Did you end up doing this?

Ed's Kolsch recipe is mighty tempting, as well.

Yup! I planned to make 5 batches, all single hop, and all with noble hops. I made the Saaz first, followed by Spalt, Hallertauer Mit., and Hersbrucker. I will make the Tettnang soon. So far, I've kegged and sample the first two. The Hallertauer is currently carbonating in the keg, and the Hersbrucker is crash cooling. My favorite so far is the Spalt. It has qualities similar to the Sam Adams Noble Pils, albeit subtle. Most will be taken to a crawfish boil this coming weekend (at least the first three). I have alsmo made 10 more gallons of the original with Cascade. It will be taken to a wedding at the end of the month.

I just brewed this as my second all grain and so far so good. My question is about how long to leave in the primary. I have read alot of this thread and see that most references were still around ten days but this thread is pretty old. I know there has been a recent push to leave ales on the primary for 4 weeks and that is what I have been adhering too. I am just wondering if anyone does a long primary on this recipe or if everyone is sticking to the original tenish days, thanks.

If you use Nottingham, 10ish days should be fine. Notty tends to really go nuts at around 68F, which can be a problem if you don't have good temp control of your fermentation. The fermentation will start generating it's own heat and spiral out of control, if you let it. I usually use it at about 65 - 66, and it will definitely finish in 10 days. A week or two of conditioning in the primary or keg almost always produces clear beer for me.

Can anyone tell me if the correct grain is 2-Row or Pale Ale Malt if ordering from Austin Homebrew?

either one should be perfectly fine, but I would go with the 2-Row, though, as it should be a bit "cleaner" and is slightly lighter in color.

their "Pale Ale Malt" listing says - "Pale Ale is slightly darker than Brewer's 2-Row, providing a rich malt flavor and additional color. It is traditionally used in Englsih ales. This malt may be used for up to 100% of mash grains."

again, fairly similar, but since this is an APA, go with the plainold 2-row (probably Breiss?). you want this crisp and clean, with that nice Vienna character coming through.

I agree that it is pretty annoying that Austin Homebrew doesn't tell you specifically what the grain actually is, who the maltster is, etc, though.

Just did my first batch of this on monday. Everything went smooth and I was able to knock it out in 4 hrs-- my fastest all grain batch to date. Simplicity was nice after the BIAB partigyle I did just a few weeks prior. Sample tasted great and fermentation seems to be going well, so im excited to try it again.

hows 2 weeks in primary, 3 in bottle sound to everyone whos done this?

well both batches i did with the 2 different yeasts fermented out and seem to have finished up within about 4-5 days. today is day 7 total so im going to 2ndary it for 2 days then coldcrash and keg on tuesday/wednesday. they smell pretty good so im excited to see how they turned out :mug:

I dry hopped mine for a week with an ounce of cascade, and bottled today. I must say, this beer is the best I've tasted before bottling. Can't wait for it to carb up. Thanks for the awesome recipe, and so cheap to make too. I paid about $15 for all the ingredients for this batch!

Well I make both the apfelwein and Rye IPA regularly so had to make it an Edwort Trifecta this weekend. LHBS looked to be out of Crystal 10 and I didn't feel like asking or waiting so just used C-20. The Cascade I bought was 8% - isn't that pretty high for Cascade? - so I tweaked the hop schedule slightly to keep the IBUs closer to original recipe. Airlock bubbles less than 12 hours later....looking forward to trying it in a couple weeks.

I racked this beer to the sec over the weekend. This was my second a/g and I believe one of my finest brews yet (albeit the 2nd a/g). I only had 4.5gal in the primary after the boil, and I didnt top off. OG 1.052, finished at 1.006. It tasted great out of the hydro tube and will only get better.

Hey guys,

I'm brewing this in a couple of hours and need a quick tip!
I overlooked the fact that there are different types of crystal malts.
The recipe calls for 0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt
I have got 0.5 lb of Crystal malt "Maximum Percentage - 20% colour 125EBC".
A quick google of the conversion suggests this is crystal 50L-60L?

To make this recipe close to the original, should I add this in or skip it out?

I think you would want at least some crystal in there....I would use it. Maybe use half of it if you are really worried about it being too different?

Thanks DustBow, it all went it!

Now I just have the unfortunately job of having to empty a keg to make room for it...

Just took a hydro sample and I'm at 1012 after a week. Sample tasted bready and with no real hop flavor... I'm thinking this is yeast flavor but wanted to see if anyone else had this experience tasting early samples.

Just took a hydro sample and I'm at 1012 after a week. Sample tasted bready and with no real hop flavor... I'm thinking this is yeast flavor but wanted to see if anyone else had this experience tasting early samples.

I've never made this beer specifically, but most batches I make taste bready when tasted early. Yes, that's the yeast flavor. For a pale ale you should still taste some bitterness, but the hop flavor will be muted by the yeast. RDWHAHB. It'll most likely taste great when done.

Back