Fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregondux

Reaction score
Hello, I started a 6 gallon blackberry wine recipe and it has been been in the primary bucket for 9 days. The recipe I'm following says that when it reaches 1.030 I should move it to a carboy with airlock but it also says that should be within 5 days. It is at 1.045 and was wondering if I should move it to the carboy or wait for it to get to 1.030. Thanks for any help. It is still slowly fermenting by the way.

Did your OG match what the recipes OG was?

It didn't say anything about an OG reading so I'm not sure? This is my first crack at fruit wine so that will be something I will check in future.

I say it should be fine. I would transfer it into a secondary and measure the SG in two weeks and as long as it is dropping you're fine. I actually had the same problem not long ago with one of my wines. What yeast strain did you use and how many packs?

Move it it will be fine...I have some blackberry (10 gal)that after 2 mo it finished at 1.004. It will keep fermenting after you transfer it....

Thanks for the help guys. I used Vinters Harvest R56 and 1 packet(8g). One last question is when I rack to carboy, what type of temperature or room should I store it? Thanks

I don't know how many grams are in yeast pack like a Montrachet or anything but I know if you use something like a Montrachet or Champange you are supposed to pitch two packs for over 5 gallons. But your pack of yeast may be twice the size of those. Just something to consider in the future.
As for temp around 70-75F always seems to be safe for me.

Back