BIAB Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just in case there's any confusion here, there's nothing about BIAB that would limit it from any AG or PM recipes.

just in case there's any confusion here, there's nothing about BIAB that would limit it from any AG or PM recipes.

This is true as long as you have the kettle capacity, a strong bag, and a means to lift it the possibilities are endless

So can I buy these all-grain kits and use them for BIAB and make great beers with them.

Great! I'm getting a turkey deep fryer soon, so I gonna do a lot more research and get a 15 gallon pot.

Isn't it harder to achieve your Target OG on big brews?

I think we're misleading the OP here by saying he can do any recipe BIAB style. It's one thing to do it...it's another to do it well.

Isn't it harder to achieve your Target OG on big brews?

I think we're misleading the OP here by saying he can do any recipe BIAB style. It's one thing to do it...it's another to do it well.

its no harder to hit the OG on a big beer with the BIAB method than it is with a traditional 3 vessel setup. so yes, ANY AG beer can be done BIAB.

It is harder to hit really high OG recipes with BIAB, but there are ways around it. I don't think there are people making 1.090 barley wines with BIAB without doing some magic. With Batch sparging, your first runnings may be 1.06+ or 1.07+ and second runnings will be 1.03+ or something. So you can make a really big beer by boiling down the first runnings or the combination of the two. With BIAB they are combined, and so it is harder to get that high initial gravity.

You can do it and just boil it down until the gravity is where you want it.

You can do the recipe you want and with grain and then add liquid or dry malt extract to make up the gravity points you need. So if your wort is 1.55 and you want 1.070 at boil time, you can add x pounds of extract to get where you want.

So, yes, you can make any beer you want, but you may need to modify a recipy to do a really big beer.

Other great things about BIAB: No stuck mashes. Cheaper to get into. Less stuff. Shorter brew day.

its no harder to hit the OG on a big beer with the BIAB method than it is with a traditional 3 vessel setup. so yes, ANY AG beer can be done BIAB.

I have no experience with this, but how would one do a decoction mash (step mash) via BIAB? Seems like it would just be more than annoying without a separate vessel for heating. I'm genuinely interested as I only recently learned of the technique. Sorry for off topic.

It is harder to hit really high OG recipes with BIAB, but there are ways around it. I don't think there are people making 1.090 barley wines with BIAB without doing some magic. With Batch sparging, your first runnings may be 1.06+ or 1.07+ and second runnings will be 1.03+ or something. So you can make a really big beer by boiling down the first runnings or the combination of the two. With BIAB they are combined, and so it is harder to get that high initial gravity.

You can do it and just boil it down until the gravity is where you want it.

You can do the recipe you want and with grain and then add liquid or dry malt extract to make up the gravity points you need. So if your wort is 1.55 and you want 1.070 at boil time, you can add x pounds of extract to get where you want.

So, yes, you can make any beer you want, but you may need to modify a recipy to do a really big beer.

Other great things about BIAB: No stuck mashes. Cheaper to get into. Less stuff. Shorter brew day.

I haven't had any problem getting 1.070 to 1.090 with BIAB, although 2 times I've bumped up the grain bill by 2 pounds of pale 2 row malt to make sure.

If you are really trying to make a really high gravity beer with BIAB, add 1.5-2 gallons extra water and do a 90 or 120 min boil (or drain off 1.5-2 gallons and boil it down to 1/2 gallon separately)

I have no experience with this, but how would one do a decoction mash (step mash) via BIAB? Seems like it would just be more than annoying without a separate vessel for heating. I'm genuinely interested as I only recently learned of the technique. Sorry for off topic.

You raise the bag, step up the temps then drop it back in and stir like crazy to get the thermal mass up fast.

It is not a big issue once you have a skyhook to lift your bag.

It is harder to hit really high OG recipes with BIAB, but there are ways around it. I don't think there are people making 1.090 barley wines with BIAB without doing some magic.

call me a wizard then cuz I've done that several times already :fro:

20+lb BIAB does suck tho

call me a wizard then cuz I've done that several times already :fro:

20+lb BIAB does suck tho

I stand corrected. I should have stated that I haven't actually tried anything over 1.06+ myself and I was just going by what I've read here and there. I'm glad I'm wrong! :mug:

np, its kinda a pain tho and you take a dip in efficiency like with any other AG. 15lbs or less I get 78+% efficiency, 20+lbs I get around 65%. I have split the mash and mashed half the grains in the runnings of the 1st half and still gotten my high efficiencies tho, but it does add an extra hour.

timbudtwo said:

To do a decoction just scoop out the decoction like normal. To step mash just lift the bag and stir while heating

Back