Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you search for "fermenting in corny" on this forum, you'll get plenty of people describing their experience. You'll end up needing to make a smaller batch and you'll need to get a air valve/lock on there, but they work fine and dandy.

I would go with a carboy too. If you ferment in a corny, it seems good on paper, but once you go to start drinking off of it, you run the risk of all kinds of sediment, or waiting for sediment. That of course, is depending on your setup. To me, carboys are better, and buckets are better yet since they are easier to clean.

Fermented in a 5 gallon corny, without issue... Use fermcap in the batch and chances are you won't even need a blow-off tube... You will want to pull the dip tube though and either use that post for the airlock, or pull the relief valve and use a small stopper there (for the airlock to go into)... You have options...

I see a lot of benefits from fermenting in corny kegs as well as Sanke kegs. I would advise leaving at least a couple of inches worth of headspace in it though. Don't try to cram more than 5 gallons in. If you made a starter, decant it and just pitch the yeast slurry. If it's a lot of yeast, reserve some of the wort in the fridge.

As already mentioned, there are other threads about doing all of this...

I will be bottling my first corny keg fermented batch this week... It was started on 2/26... :D

Back