Found some old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffondg

Reaction score
So I found an ounce of 8.8 AA Centennial that's probably about 18 months old and don't want it to go to waste but not sure how fresh it is (wasn't refrigerated or frozen). I just brewed an IPA bittered with Chinook, flavored with Centennial and Cascade and aroma'd with Casacde; would it work to use this as a dry hop (I hadn't planned on one)? If so, do you think I should use the whole ounce?

Thanks!

Eric

Depending on how well they aged, they may work well in a lambic.

18 mths without being refrigerated or frozen seems a long time. I would open the package and see how they smell. My guess is they just might not be as strong. As long as they don't smell....even taste one....off go for it.

beersmith hop age calc gives this stored @ 70 degrees:
vacuum packed: 3.9%
oxygen barrier pack:2.6%
plastic bag:1.7%

Ha, I have Beersmith and never realized that feature was there. It's been in the primary for 8 days now so I'll give it another week or so and then check for FG. If it's there I'll open them and see if they have any fresh aroma at all. and if so I'll dump 'em in for a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back