Dry Windsor Yeast where best to use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
I have used Nottingham and s-04 and recently did a porter with windsor and liked the yeast element of the beer. I had thought windsor was a "fruitier" yeast, etc but do not quite get this when sampling pre carbonation. how does this compare to Notty, s-04 or the liquid strains? and which styles would this be best used for?

I'm not so sure about a noticeable difference in higher alcohols, but Windsor does have a fairly unique ester profile (not much of a "wow factor", though). It gives a pretty low attenuation, leaving the beer with a relatively high final gravity and a lot of body and some sweetness.

I think it's good in Milds and Ordinary Bitters, but if the recipes are all-grain, they should probably be tweaked with mash temperature and sugar addition/proportion to maximize attenuation. Also, many brewers find it necessary to use a yeast finings with this yeast (gelatin or isinglass).

By the way, I was born in Pottsville and grew up in Schuylkill County!

Thanks for the info. used it in a PM porter/stout but have several AG batches coming up all are "British" styles and was wondering about using it again vs s-04 and notty

I went the opposite way. was born and raise in southern PA and delaware and moved to Pottsville. As an FYI Yuengling had a limited edition Bock last winter in kegs only for local restaurants that went over big so you may be seeing a new brew soon from them, were waiting to hear.

Latest posts

Back