First recipe BIAB..Any comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcarter

Reaction score
So this is my first shot at a recipe that I cobbled together. I'm gonna try DB's BIAB again to see if I can do better.

8 lbs 1oz 2-row pale malt
1 lb Vienna malt
.5 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb CaraPils malt
Mashed together at 154F for 1 hour, sparged in 170F water.

1 oz Simcoe pellets @ 60 mins
.5 oz Centennial pellets @ 20 mins
.5 oz Cascade pellets @ 5 mins

White Labs WLP023

What kind of profile are you going for? This seems like it'll be quite a bit on the malty side with only 2 oz of hops. It looks good over all though. Nice hop selection.

Just to get "to style." Silly, I know

Is this an American Pale Ale? What efficiency are you expecting from this batch? I had to crank my efficiency setting all the way down to 60% to get out of style with that grain bill, and dropping the efficiency that much affects the hop utilization and puts the IBUs a bit too high as well.

Also, don't worry about it. If you are really worried about competition and being in style, you should be aiming for the middle of the style guidelines, not the edges.

One other thing: if it were me, I'd dry hop it as well.

Is this an American Pale Ale? What efficiency are you expecting from this batch? I had to crank my efficiency setting all the way down to 60% to get out of style with that grain bill, and dropping the efficiency that much affects the hop utilization and puts the IBUs a bit too high as well.

Also, don't worry about it. If you are really worried about competition and being in style, you should be aiming for the middle of the style guidelines, not the edges.

I'm not really worried about competition so much, as I am just anal about this kind of stuff. It's one of the things that I really enjoy about brewing. Thanks again. :D

One other thing: if it were me, I'd dry hop it as well.

I was considering an English malt. When I was messing around with this in BeerSmith, I had the efficiency set at 75%. So, that put the IBU's at 50.2, which put it right in mid-style, 40-60 IBU's according to BeerSmith. Keep in mind, I'm still pretty new to this so I'm just trying to answer with as much info as possible, I appreciate the help.

I'm not really worried about competition so much, as I am just anal about this kind of stuff. It's one of the things that I really enjoy about brewing. Thanks again. :D

What would you dry hop with?

What kind of profile are you going for? This seems like it'll be quite a bit on the malty side with only 2 oz of hops. It looks good over all though. Nice hop selection.

I enjoy a maltier beer, but I don't want to over do it. Maybe I'll rethink the hops amounts.

I was considering an English malt. When I was messing around with this in BeerSmith, I had the efficiency set at 75%. So, that put the IBU's at 50.2, which put it right in mid-style, 40-60 IBU's according to BeerSmith. Keep in mind, I'm still pretty new to this so I'm just trying to answer with as much info as possible, I appreciate the help.

What would you dry hop with?

You mean you're using Maris Otter? So, I guess that means you're going for an American IPA?

I have come to enjoy combining two or three different hop varieties to dry hop with, to give the beer a more complex character.

Really any of the hops you're already using would work well for dry-hopping.

Its actually pretty similar to EdWort's Haus. Little less vienna, darker crystal, and the carapils. Ed's has 2 oz cascade to 10.5lbs grain.

Back