HELP! Too Much Crystal malt in a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
I am about to brew up a robust smoked porter, and due to a measuring problem at the HBS, I ended up with an extra pound of crystal (cara amber 30L, to be exact) in my sack of ground grain. My question is, will this addition completely throw off the flavor/attenuation of my beer, and what can I do to minimize the negative impacts? Some ideas I was thinking about was mashing low and long (147 or so for 90 mins), or maybe doing a partigyle, and making a smaller smoked porter with the second runnings to maybe dilute the effects of the crystal. I posted the recipe below, and If anyone has any experience with this, or any ideas, they would be hugely appreciated, as I really would like to not scrap 16 pounds of grain. Thanks in advance!

8.5 lbs British Pale
1 lb Munich
3 lbs smoked malt
2 lbs cara amber (30L)
¾ lb Light Crystal (50-60L)
¼ lb Dark Crystal (135-165L)
¾ lb Chocolate
½ lb Black Patent

When I plugged into beersmith, for a 5 gal batch, it took your SG (based on 85% effeciancy) from 1.097 to 1.104

That is not a huge difference, and I would argue in such a big beer you wouldn't notice much of a taste difference. If your worried about the SG, just make a slightly larger batch, an extra half gallon or so.

Personally, I would just stick to plan. What kind of yeast are you using? Make sure to make a nice large starter and aerate the wort well.

Double the rest of the grains, mix, brew. Or store half and do two batches, etc. You could probably just brew it but there is alot of sweetness in there. It would be more like a scottish as is, or wee heavy if you double the rest of the grains. Actually, I just noticed the Lovibond of everything, It will be a fine porter as is.

My input: add hops!

My name is Eric, and I am a hop-aholic.

Is there a 12 step program for this "disease"?

Latest posts

Back