Weight of 6 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A six gallon better bottle weighs next to nothing, but I assume you mean glass...

EDIT: I went to northernbrewer and "selected" a six gallon carboy to purchase, then checked the "view cart" button. Shipping weight is about 41 pounds, so I'd say an empty six gallon glass carboy weighs slightly less than 41 lbs.

Now you're just being silly. The weight is not really that big an issue. Empty, a 6.5 gallon glass carboy is about 15 pounds. With 5.5 gallons of wort it comes in at around 60 pounds.

Edit:
By the way. This isn't a guess or speculation. I put one on a scale.
That's a lot of peanuts that Northern Brewer uses.:D

Now you're just being silly. The weight is not really that big an issue. Empty, a 6.5 gallon glass carboy is about 15 pounds. With 5.5 gallons of wort it comes in at around 60 pounds.

Edit:
By the way. This isn't a guess or speculation. I put one on a scale.
That's a lot of peanuts that Northern Brewer uses.:D

I could not agree with you more!

Old thread, but the shipping estimator will have things like carboys listed as heavier than they are because dimensionally they are difficult to pack. They also take little long to pack than say 10# of grain. Shipping costs aren't always about weight.

Back