Barking Beagle Brewcast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rock on. Won't be tuning in as SWMBO wants to drive over to IKEA and get some bedroom furniture. After the copious amounts of money I've spent in the last few days, I'd be a stupid man to say no.

Tomorrow I'm brewing a Scotch 70 also! :rockin:

Are you pulling a gallon to caramelize?

Not planning on it this time around, but I'll be doing that the next time I brew a 70/-. Let's swap and compare, shall we?

I must have missed the show, that or it was a colony of ants brewing a batch...

You didn't miss anything, BP! That's 'cos I'm brewing this tomorrow. ;)

Not planning on it this time around, but I'll be doing that the next time I brew a 70/-. Let's swap and compare, shall we?

Sounds great! I'd love to swap with ya. I think my last batch got infected (amarillo pale). Hopefully this one is off without a hitch. :mug:

You didn't miss anything, BP! That's 'cos I'm brewing this tomorrow. ;)

There you go with that fine print and details junk again! I thought this was a 24/7 thing!

I only got to tune in for the sparge. I just got back from the vet, and it looks likes its over. Hope the brew turned out well Jason.

4 hours on the nose, start to finish.
I heard rumors of this four hour brew thing, but now I’ve seen it. Two things. Takes me 1+ hours to haul my stuff from the basement and put it back. Second, I’m way too anal about most of the process. I’ve tasted your beer, so I know that I’m not gaining anything. One of the big things was the Vorlauf. I’ve been doing 3-4 quarts, pouring it back way slower and waiting at least 5 minutes for the bed to settle before starting to lauter.

Thanks. Waiting for round two!

I heard rumors of this four hour brew thing, but now I’ve seen it. Two things. Takes me 1+ hours to haul my stuff from the basement and put it back. Second, I’m way too anal about most of the process. I’ve tasted your beer, so I know that I’m not gaining anything. One of the big things was the Vorlauf. I’ve been doing 3-4 quarts, pouring it back way slower and waiting at least 5 minutes for the bed to settle before starting to lauter.

Thanks. Waiting for round two!

Thanks Herm! I've never needed to vorlauf more than 2-3 quarts and, in my mind, clarity is more closely linked to conversion than settling of the grain bed. In other words, if you don't get complete conversion and starches are still present in your wort, all the vorlaufing in the world won't help!

Angler, I'm curious about your 70 recipe. I'd like to compare. :D

Scotchy Lafaro 70/-

6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.63 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.17 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.59 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.59 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.79 %
0.20 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.23 %
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
mash at 158

Be careful with 1056, I'd think it would overattenuate even with the higher mash temp. Firebrewer did just this with his 70/- and it finished a little dry and thin, despite mashing at 158°. Give a it a try and see how you like it, but you really need a yeast with a tendency to underattenuate.

[size=+2]Duncan's Malcontent 70/- [/size]
[size=+1]9-B Scottish Heavy 70/-[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 2/12/09

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 65%
Calories: 134.89 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.040 (1.035 - 1.040)
|========================#=======|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
|====================#===========|
Color: 16.36 (9.0 - 17.0)
|======================#=========|
Alcohol: 3.4% (3.2% - 3.9%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 17.0 (10.0 - 25.0)
|===============#================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
6.5 lb Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
.5 lb Dark Munich Malt
0.5 lb British Dark Crystal
3 oz Caramel Malt 120L
2.0 oz Pale Chocolate
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]

00:03:00 Mash-In - Liquor: 2.44 gal; Strike: 167.97 °F; Target: 154 °F
01:03:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 152.0 °F
01:33:00 Lautering - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 150 °F, 10.0 min; Sparge #1: 3.08 gal sparge @ 178 °F, 10.0 min; Sparge #2: 3.08 gal sparge @ 178 °F, 10.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.87 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2[/size]

Thanks for the show, sorry I disappeared but watching you made me want to brew myself. I did BM's centennial blonde without the centennial hops....I guess that makes it a nugget blonde :)

Jason,
I didn't notice, but did you monitor temp readings in your MLT, or is it so ordinary and customary that temp monitoring while mashing is not necessary?

Jason,
I didn't notice, but did you monitor temp readings in your MLT, or is it so ordinary and customary that temp monitoring while mashing is not necessary?

Hi Hugh,

I have a remote probe thermometer that sits in the mash, and the receiver was sitting just beside the laptop so it wasn't visible on the brewcast. With my system, I expect a loss of a degree over the hour-long rest.

Jason

Hi Hugh,

I have a remote probe thermometer that sits in the mash, and the receiver was sitting just beside the laptop so it wasn't visible on the brewcast. With my system, I expect a loss of a degree over the hour-long rest.

Jason
Thanks Jason,
I guess I didn't notice it. Do you have it rigged like Bobby_M's video? I tried that, but had the thermometer fail after two uses. I was wondering how your set up is configured.
Regards

Back