Tasmanian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periwinkle1239

Reaction score
New beer from Schlafly using Galaxy hops. Had it on tap at Bottleworks the other night, absolutely delicious.

It's advertised as a smash with 2-row, I'm thinking about trying my own version.

I need to figure out grain bill size, hop additions, and yeast - it's a 7.2% beast. I'm thinking mash at 150-151 to get a low enough FG. I'm also wondering if Schlafly hop bursts since that seems to be trendy right now. I'll probably use my go to yeast Pacman, but maybe I'll try it with Bell's.

I'd love to hear peoples opinions?

Never had that beer, but I first wort hop and hop burst all my hoppy beers and think you can't go wrong with that. I fwh my bittering addition then toss a bunch in at 15, 10, and 5 or 1.

Never had that beer, but I first wort hop and hop burst all my hoppy beers and think you can't go wrong with that. I fwh my bettering addition then toss a bunch in at 15, 10, and 5 or 1.

Ok thanks. Hmm not sure I want to do a FWH with Galaxy though because of it's high AA - I don't want the bitterness to knock me over. I like your advice of 15, 10, 5 and 1 though.

I looked up the OG of the beer from Schlafy's webpage which is 17.5 (1.072 SG), which means the FG would be about 1.017. This tells me that I should mash a bit higher than 150-151. Still not sure how to handle the Galaxy additions.

The Tasmanian IPA is awesome, I agree. It only has around 60 IBUs though so if you were cloning it keep that in mind. If you get a good working recipe. I would love to hear what you used! I love this new seasonal IPA thing Schlafly has been doing. The Export is really good too.

Ok thanks. Hmm not sure I want to do a FWH with Galaxy though because of it's high AA - I don't want the bitterness to knock me over. I like your advice of 15, 10, 5 and 1 though.

I looked up the OG of the beer from Schlafy's webpage which is 17.5 (1.072 SG), which means the FG would be about 1.017. This tells me that I should mash a bit higher than 150-151. Still not sure how to handle the Galaxy additions.

The FWH lends a smoother bitterness than your typical 60 min addition. I have done that with hops as high as 9.2%AA and love the results personally but your tastes may be different than mine. :mug:

The FWH lends a smoother bitterness than your typical 60 min addition. I have done that with hops as high as 9.2%AA and love the results personally but your tastes may be different than mine. :mug:

Ok maybe I'll consider that then, but I've never done a FWH before. My galaxy hops are 13% so if I do so I won't use much. Thanks!

periwinkle1239 said:
Ok maybe I'll consider that then, but I've never done a FWH before. My galaxy hops are 13% so if I do so I won't use much. Thanks!

The late hop additions won't contribute much to the final ibu's. Most ibu's will occur in the 60 min hop additions. Looks like I'll have to try out some galaxy as I hear they make great ipa's.

Actually if you use a lot of hops as late additions you can get considerable ibus. That's why hop-bursting has become so popular. There has been research done showing you can only extract 50 ibu from a 60 min addition

I've done a single hop beer with Galaxy. FWH,15,5,0 for additions. It is a great hop and the FWH additions are much smoother than a 60 minute. GL, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I've done a single hop beer with Galaxy. FWH,15,5,0 for additions. It is a great hop and the FWH additions are much smoother than a 60 minute. GL, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Really, do you remember what you used for hop quantities? (How much in a 5 gal batch?)

I'll be damned, there was no FWH addition. These additions are for a 10.5G recipe so they would have to be scaled for 5G. Also the beer had an OG of 1.051 so the bitterness achieved is different than you will get shooting for 7.2% ABV.
60min .75oz 12.4%AA 16.1IBU
15min 1.5oz 12.4%AA 16.0IBU
5min 1.75oz 12.4%AA 7.5IBU
0min 2oz 12.4%AA 0IBU
39.6 IBU total.

They use Cargill 2 row & Wyeast 1272 American Ale II for a majority of there ales. This beer is pretty simple - shoot for a OG of about 17.5 plato.

Here's my recipe, I'll be brewing this on New Years Day. Got my yeast starter on the stir plate right now. I'm open to comments. PS - I use RO water hence the salt additions. Thanks!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.78 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 98.0 %
4.8 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 19.5 IBUs
3.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 42.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 4.8 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 19.13 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.03gal) of 168.0 F water

Only thing I might suggest is mashing @ 150 not 152 - this beer has a dry finish. Otherwise it looks great!! Would like to try them side by side.

Only thing I might suggest is mashing @ 150 not 152 - this beer has a dry finish. Otherwise it looks great!! Would like to try them side by side.

Thanks a good point. I guess I was thinking 152 to try and get a FG of 1.017 based on 'matching' Schlafly's OG of 17.5 plato and ABV of 7.2%. Just don't want the FG to get to low and since I'm using entirely 2-row malt.

But I think you're right and I will shoot for a 150-151 mash.

Any plans for a dry hop with some more galaxy? Maybe 1-3oz especially with it being a little higher gravity. I used galaxy for the first time a few weeks ago in combo with Nelson Sauvin and Simcoe in a IIPA...looking forward to the results!

Any plans for a dry hop with some more galaxy? Maybe 1-3oz especially with it being a little higher gravity. I used galaxy for the first time a few weeks ago in combo with Nelson Sauvin and Simcoe in a IIPA...looking forward to the results!

Yes for sure, I left this most important part out of the recipe. I think I'm going to dry hop with 3 oz!

Curious to hear how yours turns out, keep us posted.

Honestly this is one of the best IPAs I've ever had. Schlafly really has it figured out with this one, which in my opinion, is keep the thing ****ing simple. The only aversion I have to doing a simple SMaSH is the mash pH. Even though my water isn't too high in bicarbonate (~28 ppm RA) I still have to add acid to bring the mash pH down to 5.5 if all I use is base malt. I will still probably pick up a pound or so of Galaxy for an IPA and do a rather simple grainbill of 2-row, Vienna, and Aromatic/Victory.

I made my own version of this today - used 15 lbs Cargill 2-row, with 2% acid malt to keep pH down, went with 0.5 oz Galaxy at 60 min, 3 oz at 10 min, and 0.5 at flameout. OG on target at 1.072. Chilled and the aerated with 02. Then pitched a healthy starter of 1272 (decanted first).
Will ferment between 62-64 degrees, I am excited for this one.

I really like this beer except it thought it was a little thin tasting (all 2 grain and really citrusy hops). i did a partial mash that i toyed a bit with:

2 lb 2 row
8 oz C-40 malt
Mash above at 150-154 for 60.

7 lb Pilsner LME
8 oz corn sugar

1 oz pride of ringwood 60 min
0.5 oz galaxy 60 min
1 oz galaxy 20 min
0.5 oz galaxy 15 min
1 tsp irish most at 15 min
1 oz galaxy 10 min
1 oz galaxy 5 min
2 galaxy oz dry hopped
Nottingham yeast

tastes pretty different but i like it. pride of ringwood definitely gives it more of a spicy, classic hop bitterness and C-60 rounds out the malt nicely. not nearly as fruity/pineapple as the tasmanian IPA. i'm wondering if they used almost exclusively late hop additions. if i tried again with just galaxy hops, i'd probably do something like 1oz @ 45 min, 2oz at 15min, 1oz at 10min, 2 at 5-0min, 2 oz dry hopped. maybe sub the c-60 for a few pounds of vienna malt.

I am going to try recreating this too, I already have the galaxy waiting. It is an amazing IPA, I wish they would keep it year round though.

I'm making this today. Here is my version.

12 pounds two row
.4 oz Acidualated (bring down mash PH)

Mash at 150 F for 60 minutes

60 min Boil
1 lb sugar
2.2 oz Galaxy @ 20 Min (Hop burst method)
1oz Galaxy at flame out

American ale II and will ferment at 62 F

2oz Galaxy dry hop in the keg

I made my own version of this today - used 15 lbs Cargill 2-row, with 2% acid malt to keep pH down, went with 0.5 oz Galaxy at 60 min, 3 oz at 10 min, and 0.5 at flameout. OG on target at 1.072. Chilled and the aerated with 02. Then pitched a healthy starter of 1272 (decanted first).
Will ferment between 62-64 degrees, I am excited for this one.

Here's a quick update. Took a sample/gravity reading of 1.018, the aroma and flavor is spot on with Schlafly's TIPA. I was shooting for a FG of 1.017 to match Schlafly, so I'd call this one a win.

I will tranfser to secondary over the weekend when one of my carboy frees up.

I'm not sure how much I want to dry hop with. These galaxy hops are expensive! I'm thinking the more the better though, either 2 or 3 oz.

I will most definitely wash my yeast and plan on ordering more galaxy hops to try this one again!

I'm making this today. Here is my version.

12 pounds two row
.4 oz Acidualated (bring down mash PH)

Mash at 150 F for 60 minutes

60 min Boil
1 lb sugar
2.2 oz Galaxy @ 20 Min (Hop burst method)
1oz Galaxy at flame out

American ale II and will ferment at 62 F

2oz Galaxy dry hop in the keg

Sounds great, what was your OG?

WOW!!!

OG 1.064
FG 1.009

This is a great beer. Side by side mine is lighter in color (diff base grain?) but taste is right on! Great beer. Going to do another SMASH but with Falconers Flight. Best brew I have made

Changed recipe last min.

did 2 oz at flame out. Used a new technique of cooling to 180F the threw 2 OZ hops and let steep for 30 min. After 30 min temp was 150 and continued cooling with immersion chiller. Ferm at 2 weeks at 62 raised to 66 near end the cool crashed and transferred to keg and dry hop with 1 oz in keg. 3 weeks from grain to glass

Cant believe a beer that is this simple (SMASH) is the best

Here's a quick update. Took a sample/gravity reading of 1.018, the aroma and flavor is spot on with Schlafly's TIPA. I was shooting for a FG of 1.017 to match Schlafly, so I'd call this one a win.

I will tranfser to secondary over the weekend when one of my carboy frees up.

I'm not sure how much I want to dry hop with. These galaxy hops are expensive! I'm thinking the more the better though, either 2 or 3 oz.

I will most definitely wash my yeast and plan on ordering more galaxy hops to try this one again!

Hey Peri, I know it's been quite a while for you on this one, but how did it turn out? Were you happy with the final results? I have some Galaxy headed my way and I might try this recipe out. I might sub in some table sugar and mash closer to 150 to keep it on the dry side. Any feedback is appreciated.

drunkmonk59 said:
Hey Peri, I know it's been quite a while for you on this one, but how did it turn out? Were you happy with the final results? I have some Galaxy headed my way and I might try this recipe out. I might sub in some table sugar and mash closer to 150 to keep it on the dry side. Any feedback is appreciated.

Yes based on my memory it turned out great. A few things that I recall:
It was quite bitter, even with only 0.5 oz of buttering hops. If I do it again I might go with something like 0.33 oz and then up the late addition. (I wish I could whirlpool because I bet that would help at the end)
I also remember it clearing out nicely but then when adding the dry hops, it got the hop haze. I was a bit bummed because the TIPA from Schlafly is so clear.
It was a real pleaser with all of my friends and went so fast from the keg that I didn't get around to bottling any with my beer gun for savoring for later.

Hey, thanks for the feedback, I've read before that restraint is the key when using galaxy as a bittering hop. I think I'll take your advice and Knock the 60min addition down to .33oz. I might do it as a FWH. Thinking also of doing a 10, and 5 min or less addition. Start a whirlpool at knockout for 10min, then chill down to 170 or less and throw a couple ounces for and additional 30 min whirlpool/hopstand.

I'm planning on brewing this up in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll be sure to let you know how I make out.

Cheers.

I finally got around to brewing this last Saturday. I took your advice and lowered the 60 min additon and added a little more hops near flameout. The day went pretty well. I definatly realized the limitations of my 10 gallon blichmann mash tun. With over 29lbs of grain in that puppy I had to let out 2 gallons of water while mashing in. I slowly added some water back in, but was worried with such a thick mash my eff my suffer. All went well and I ended up @1.075 a few points over what I was shooting for. I brewed 12 gallons. One carboy got 1272 and the other got YG001. I did a 2L starter with both. I plan on dry hopping both with 2oz each not sure how long just yet. Sniffing both airlocks and the YG001 smell's effin amazing! I'll post and update when they are carbed up and ready to poor.
12 Gallons: (RO Water with CaCl and Gypsum added)
29lbs Cargill 2-row
.6lbs Acidulated Malt
1lb Sugar (added @10min)
Mashed at 150 for 75min
.7oz @60
5.3oz @10
2.75oz @5
3.0 oz Whirpool chilled to 150 for another hour. (I wanted 175-170, but my ground water must have been cooler than expected, I only ran thur my plate chiller for a couple of minutes and saw I had blown past very fast.)

I finally got around to brewing this last Saturday. I took your advice and lowered the 60 min additon and added a little more hops near flameout. The day went pretty well. I definatly realized the limitations of my 10 gallon blichmann mash tun. With over 29lbs of grain in that puppy I had to let out 2 gallons of water while mashing in. I slowly added some water back in, but was worried with such a thick mash my eff my suffer. All went well and I ended up @1.075 a few points over what I was shooting for. I brewed 12 gallons. One carboy got 1272 and the other got YG001. I did a 2L starter with both. I plan on dry hopping both with 2oz each not sure how long just yet. Sniffing both airlocks and the YG001 smell's effin amazing! I'll post and update when they are carbed up and ready to poor.
12 Gallons: (RO Water with CaCl and Gypsum added)
29lbs Cargill 2-row
.6lbs Acidulated Malt
1lb Sugar (added @10min)
Mashed at 150 for 75min
.7oz @60
5.3oz @10
2.75oz @5
3.0 oz Whirpool chilled to 150 for another hour. (I wanted 175-170, but my ground water must have been cooler than expected, I only ran thur my plate chiller for a couple of minutes and saw I had blown past very fast.)

How did this turn out?

Hey,

Glad you asked, and sorry for the late update on this.

This turned out fantastic. I will definitely be brewing this again. I have to say that I thought the 1272 version turned out slightly better due to the fact that it attenuated further. Even though I did a 2L starter with the YG001, I could only get it to finish at 1.024 in retrospect, I should have stepped it up one more time before brewing. The 1272 got down to 1.019 from an OG of 1.075. The aroma's are very similiar, much more than I thought. The YG001 just has a slightly more fruity, candied, peachy thing going on. The 1272 is more straight up pineapple and grapefruit. The aroma on both are great. The taste on each follow much as the aroma's do. The YG001 just has a bit more sweetness, witch makes sense with the higher final gravity.

The YG001 did however drop clearer YG001 on left. I had planned to only crash them for 3-4 days, but got busy and they sat for 8 days at 34 deg.

Big thanks again to Periwinkle to setting me on the right path on this one!!

Cheers,
Joel

Dingo.JPG

This beer sounds fantastic! Saved the recipe for future ventures ... but I recently came interested in Galaxy hops in search of a recipe for a fruity, tropical cocktail-like, hefeweizen. How do you guys think this hop schedule would taste in a hefe? Not sure I've ever had a hopped up hefe before, plenty of APWAs (I'm looking at you my Little Sumpin' Sumpin' :mug: ) but a truly hoppy German hefe? I think it could be good with the fruity aroma/taste of the Galaxy hops and the banana esters of the yeast. What do y'all think?

Yes based on my memory it turned out great. A few things that I recall:
It was quite bitter, even with only 0.5 oz of buttering hops. If I do it again I might go with something like 0.33 oz and then up the late addition. (I wish I could whirlpool because I bet that would help at the end)
I also remember it clearing out nicely but then when adding the dry hops, it got the hop haze. I was a bit bummed because the TIPA from Schlafly is so clear.
It was a real pleaser with all of my friends and went so fast from the keg that I didn't get around to bottling any with my beer gun for savoring for later.

Hate to bump a thread from so long ago, but what were you able to determine regarding the hop schedule? Did you brew a batch bringing the 60 min hops down to 0.33? Did you go with 2.00 or 3.00 oz dry hop?

I can't effectively whirlpool as I'm attempting this as a BIAB, but would love to know what your final hop schedule was.

Want to try this one in a couple days.

Thanks in advance!

I have a friend that cloned this beer with help from the Schlafly brewers and they told him to use 4oz of dry hops/ 5G batch, FWIW.

Back