Brutus 10 Question - I'm no engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
Hey now!

So, I'm looking at building out a Brutus 10 with some help from a buddy with a machine shop. I keep lookin at all these designs and they appear quite high off the ground.

What would be the CONS of having this thing built much lower to the ground, so it would be easier to see inside the kettles, add water, add grain, etc? Am I missing something here? I'm guessing maybe the pumps need some space, or the hoses would drape to the ground...just need to think thru this.

Very new to this type of system, would love any insight you all can provide!

Cheers,
Meatwad

I thought the same thing when I built my stand. But...in the end I was much happier with the higher design. For the amount of time you spend operating ball valves and switching hoses compared to adding grains and water...it makes sense to put the valves closer to waist level. It saves me from having to bend over all the time anyways.

I echo Southern's statement and add that you should have a 12" drop from kettle to pump.
Please consider not doing the gas beam, this is really unsafe.

I did lower mine just a bit, have keggles and wanted to see inside without much trouble. I agree with the above that most of what you do you will be happy with not bending to do it. If you make it like Lonie's you could always cut off some of the leg if you decided it was to high after a few brews. That being said you might want to start a little higher than you think you want so you can adjust down the road if you want to. It's a wonderful system and every time I pull into the garage it makes me smile.

Here is a pic of mine, it is lower than most. It's only a start, still needs casters.

ForumRunner_20111201_110221.jpg

I echo Southern's statement and add that you should have a 12" drop from kettle to pump.
Please consider not doing the gas beam, this is really unsafe.

I also consider the gas beam to be very unsafe...but I went with it anyway. I basically used Lonnie's design for the stand itself...everything else (burners, automation, etc.) I've gone other routes.

My gas beam doesnt leak and seems to be working great, but who knows what might happen if I break a weld...

Some stands are setup so you can store your keggles underneath the burners when not in use. I've set mine up this way. I designed the stand so I can still reach the bottom of the keggles with my hand when everything is setup. You will need to be at least 5'9"-6' tall to do this without a stool.

Another nice requirement when setting the height is to be able to gravity feed into a fermentor. I know you will have pumps, but having enough height to gravity feed from one keggle on the stand to one on the floor is nice if you ever get into a pinch. Your pump could die, your electricity could go out or your might be using both pumps while mashing and want to drain cleaner from your boil kettle to your carboy.

Why not store the kettles on top the stand? just curious

It takes up less room in storage. You can roll it under a counter or shelf. It's easier to transport if you want to take it to a brew-in. I have 3 Rubbermaid tubs of misc brewing stuff that can stacked on top of the stand when not in use.

If the stand is carefully designed, you are only adding 2-4 inches to the height over some of the standard designs. So why not leave room underneath?

Back