Recommend recipe for first BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I made a couple batches with extract kits, and now I'm drowning in mediocre stout. I want to try all-grain BIAB method with my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, but I need a recipe. Something lighter, lightly hoppy, more summery/refreshing, and something others will enjoy more since many of my friends drink amerilager and don't like my stout. Also, I have a whole bunch of US-05 I would like to use.

I will buy everything from my LHBS but I need to know what to buy.

Do EdWort's Haus Pale Ale:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

Or DeathBrewer's SMASH APA:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smash-apa-87816/

Both simple recipes, light body, lightly hopped, summertime refreshing, and would be great with S-05 instead of Notty.

For BIAB, you can either just use the full water volume and just heat to mashout, or do a "BIAB Sparge" by heating the sparge water in a separate pot and either soaking the bag in the new pot for about 10 minutes then pouring and draining it in the original mash, or just slowly pour the sparge water through the bag as it is suspended above the mash then drain well. The rest of the recipes and procedures are the same as the normal AG recipes.

I might do the separate sparge method just to save mash volume, because 7.5gal is going to be pretty close to full if I try to do full-volume.

Amerilager

80% Pale Malt/20% Flaked Maize (90/10 Pale/Carapils for you don't want maize)
Magnum @60min/Hallertauer @15min for 20 - 24 IBU
US05 @ 61-62F

The simpler the better for the first time. Less variables to consider and reflect upon.

Enjoy.

I made a couple batches with extract kits, and now I'm drowning in mediocre stout. I want to try all-grain BIAB method with my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, but I need a recipe. Something lighter, lightly hoppy, more summery/refreshing, and something others will enjoy more since many of my friends drink amerilager and don't like my stout. Also, I have a whole bunch of US-05 I would like to use.

I will buy everything from my LHBS but I need to know what to buy.

Do a Simple Smash Ale.

7lbs Some form of Pale Malt(i like Golden Promise)
1oz Amarillo @ 60
1oz Amarillo @flame out

Us-O5

Poof Simple Smash ale!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/ is a great choice for first BIAB. you'll get great efficiency, plus it's a beer that even people who don't like home brew will love. light, not hoppy, crisp, good for these hot summer months. last one I did a keg was drained in an evening at a friends party. That was with an even split of home brew drinkers and BMC people.

I also BIAB in a 7.5 gallon Turkey fryer pot. This is the only recipe I have done twice.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/

Very nice beer.

Mash with 6 gallons of water with about an 11lb grain bill. 2 more gallons heated to about 190 in a 5 gallon bucket that you put the grain bag in after the mash. Heat original wort to 175 and place bag back in for sparge. Pull bag and combine all liquid. You will have 6.5-7 gallons pre boil. I let the bag cool in the bucket and add that liquid back during the boil. That will give you about 5.5 gallons and 75% efficiency.

Also hop utilization is better with such a large boil volume. I use this calculator to hit the suggested IBU

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Remember to change the boil volume to 6-6.5

Here's the recipe I used:

8lb domestic 2-row
2lb Vienna Malt
1lb Crystal 10L

2oz total of Cascade

The recipe only called for 1/2lb of the crystal malt, but the LHBS has a 1-lb minimum on their website, so I ordered a pound, but when I went to pick up my grain, they had mixed it all together! So my grain bill was 1/2 pound heavy on the crystal malt.

I used BIAB with a 7.5gal turkey fryer and propane burner from Academy. I did a 3-step infusion mash schedule that my professional brewer friend told me to use. When I pulled the bag out, I could see that the liquid level went down a good bit, so I heated a couple gallons of water to 78C in a galvanized ice tub and stuck the grain bag in there for a while for sparge, like a big tea bag, then I dumped it in with the wort. I ended up with an OG of 1.052 and 5 gallons total.

To cool down, since I don't have a chiller and copper is bloody expensive, I put ice water in my metal trash can and set the whole turkey fryer in there. I went through 3 bags of ice but it cooled down to pitching temperature in about a half hour.

The bag that my wife made me out of Walmart sheer curtains worked super good, as did the hop bags. After I was done I just sprayed them off and they are good as new. The Walmart curtains are perfectly sized to get 3 brew bags, with very little cutting or waste. I'm also convinced they are better than the bags at the LHBS because the mesh is finer.

I used BIAB with a 7.5gal turkey fryer and propane burner from Academy. I did a 3-step infusion mash schedule that my professional brewer friend told me to use. When I pulled the bag out, I could see that the liquid level went down a good bit, so I heated a couple gallons of water to 78C in a galvanized ice tub and stuck the grain bag in there for a while for sparge, like a big tea bag, then I dumped it in with the wort. I ended up with an OG of 1.052 and 5 gallons total.

congrats on making your first BIAB beer!!!. For future beers you can stick to a single infusion mash with no worries. A 3 step isn't needed with today's modern highly modified malts. Also, please get something to use for sparge water that isn't galvanized. You really don't want any chemicals from that to leech into your beer.

Latest posts

Back