Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah that explains it thanks. I would like to fire my mash tun for steps and mashouts but definitely don't need a 10" banjo just something small. But I need I figure out what regulator for both.

You can just do step infusion mashes, they are much more gentle than direct fire. With direct fire mash you are going to need some good mixing to avoid scorching your mash. That the way I did it till i built my herms system.

You can just do step infusion mashes, they are much more gentle than direct fire. With direct fire mash you are going to need some good mixing to avoid scorching your mash. That the way I did it till i built my herms system.

Yep, that is why I did not add burner for the MLT. I can easily run the wort through my HEX at the desired temp. in a scenario like this (and for the first few uses) i'm going to measure the temp between the MLT and exit of the HEX and compensate for heat loss.

I haven't tried step infusions but it seems easier to direct fire while recirculating with a pump, like Lonnie Mac does on his original Brutus 10. I figure moving up to a HERMS is the next step, seems like that would get the most accurate temps but it sounds like people are successful direct firing as long as a recirc is running?

I tried to go with a stand that was as small / simple as I could get. I checked out lots of other designs to figure out how to make this one. It's pretty simple to make.
1 - 4x8 (3/8") sheet of particle board
7 - 2"x4"x8' boards
Box of 2 3/4" screws
Casters of your choice

I used it once already to make an American Wheat. We are planning for the next brew shortly.

IMG_20130615_162230_642-1.jpg

I haven't tried step infusions but it seems easier to direct fire while recirculating with a pump, like Lonnie Mac does on his original Brutus 10. I figure moving up to a HERMS is the next step, seems like that would get the most accurate temps but it sounds like people are successful direct firing as long as a recirc is running?

As long as you have good flow and accurate control over mash temp, direct fire works very well.

Curious as to why so many benches are referred to as "Brutus" design? The design of such a bench and the arrangement of the kettles lend itself to "form follows function" and common sense design when using pumps for transfer. It also allows for stability, user interaction, and clean storage.

Prior to my bench design and build I didn't know what a "Brutus 10". I am an amateur engineer, and an professional fabricator and wanted a clean, easy to use, easy to store, everything has a place in a small footprint, that is expandable "brew bench". After I was finished I was complemented on the "Brutus" copy. NOW I know what it is but curious as to why that is the so-called standard of design? (seriously... just curious)

Curious as to why so many benches are referred to as "Brutus" design? The design of such a bench and the arrangement of the kettles lend itself to "form follows function" and common sense design when using pumps for transfer. It also allows for stability, user interaction, and clean storage.

Prior to my bench design and build I didn't know what a "Brutus 10". I am an amateur engineer, and an professional fabricator and wanted a clean, easy to use, easy to store, everything has a place in a small footprint, that is expandable "brew bench". After I was finished I was complemented on the "Brutus" copy. NOW I know what it is but curious as to why that is the so-called standard of design? (seriously... just curious)

As pumps started being used more in home brewing, single level stands started becoming more popular. Lonnie Mac built one such stand and did a write up on it that was published in BYO magazine. He called the stand "Brutus". Once it hit BYO, the single level stands started becoming even more popular and similar designs just get referred to as a "Brutus".

Curious as to why so many benches are referred to as "Brutus" design?

I think it is the same reason tissues are "Kleenex" and bandages are "band-aids."

Brand recognition- it is the most copied/inspired single tier design around, and it is easier to explain to other people this way.

Here's my 20 gallon brew rig. I decided to build it for two reasons 1) I like beer; 2) I wanted to learn how to weld. It wasn't the first thing I built - a workbench, compressor stand, and welding cart came first - but it was my first real project.

The butcher block table in the first picture is a recent (and incomplete) addition. I use it as a prep table when brewing and the rig stores away underneath it when not in use.

image-4291950271.jpg

image-3004598449.jpg

Breworx said:
Here's my 20 gallon brew rig. I decided to build it for two reasons 1) I like beer; 2) I wanted to learn how to weld. It wasn't the first thing I built - a workbench, compressor stand, and welding cart came first - but it was my first real project.

The butcher block table in the first picture is a recent (and incomplete) addition. I use it as a prep table when brewing and the rig stores away underneath it when not in use.

Nice. What burners are you using?

Breworx said:
10 in high pressure banjo burners.

Ok so I want to do the same thing but was thinking of a 6" banjo burner that comes with the sq 14 for the MLT. If I did that could I still use the 30 psi regulator that came with my kab4 for all three and adjust each via valves?

Ok so I want to do the same thing but was thinking of a 6" banjo burner that comes with the sq 14 for the MLT. If I did that could I still use the 30 psi regulator that came with my kab4 for all three and adjust each via valves?

Sure, that's definitely possible. Since i use identical burners for my HLT, MLT, and BK, I only need to adjust the regulator once, and when the flame is dialed in on one burner, it's dialed on all 3 and rarely needs adjustment. In your case, getting all three burners dialed in is going to take one extra step or one extra part.

It you've got 10" burners under your HLT and BK are going to have orifices that require higher pressures (somewhere <30 psi) than the 6" burner (<10 psi). The effect of this will be that when you've dialed in your 10" burners, the pressure will be way too high for your 6" burner. To correct this, you've got two choices -

1) install a needle valve between the MLT ball valve (ball valves are basically on/off switches, which you'll need, but they're not good for making adjustments) and the 6" burner orifice. A needle valve will allow you to actually make adjustments

Or

2) slowly and incrementally increase the size of the 10" burner orifices until they operate efficiently at the same pressure as the 6" burner. To do this you'll need to find the orifice size/drill size chart. There are a bunch of HBT threads discussing orifice size, so browse through them and I'm sure you'll find it + other helpful info.

Breworx said:
Sure, that's definitely possible. Since i use identical burners for my HLT, MLT, and BK, I only need to adjust the regulator once, and when the flame is dialed in on one burner, it's dialed on all 3 and rarely needs adjustment. In your case, getting all three burners dialed in is going to take one extra step or one extra part.

It you've got 10" burners under your HLT and BK are going to have orifices that require higher pressures (somewhere <30 psi) than the 6" burner (<10 psi). The effect of this will be that when you've dialed in your 10" burners, the pressure will be way too high for your 6" burner. To correct this, you've got two choices -

1) install a needle valve between the MLT ball valve (ball valves are basically on/off switches, which you'll need, but they're not good for making adjustments) and the 6" burner orifice. A needle valve will allow you to actually make adjustments

Or

2) slowly and incrementally increase the size of the 10" burner orifices until they operate efficiently at the same pressure as the 6" burner. To do this you'll need to find the orifice size/drill size chart. There are a bunch of HBT threads discussing orifice size, so browse through them and I'm sure you'll find it + other helpful info.

Great info thanks. Sounds like I could also use the 30 psi regulator and put needle valves on all three burners so I can just open the regulator all the way and then use the needle valves on each burner to adjust?

Now that is excellent thinking with the butcher top table with your bench packed up and stowed under! That is just plain hot! Love it...

Not my homebrew setup, but I like shiny stuff so I'll post it anyway. This is the 3.5bbl PsychoBrew system for my brewery in Chicago, we'll be open in September. The system is customized from their typical 4 burner system by using larger mash tuns and stainless steel pumps.
1005145_377419612380400_208095397_n.jpg

What is the name of your brewery? I live in chicago I may have to check it out.

Smithy said:
Now that is excellent thinking with the butcher top table with your bench packed up and stowed under! That is just plain hot! Love it...

Thanks! Originally my plan was to use the butcher block as a removable top for it (results below) but I got so many complements on it that I decided to turn it into a standalone piece.

image-651833079.jpg

image-1630433461.jpg

Here's my rig in all of its hill billy glory. we were brewing at a friends house, hence the reason for the makeshift stand. We were brewing a massive RIS, so i had to use my keggle for the mashtun. I am currrently building a keggle bottom drain mashtun to get rid of the cooler, and a stand for the mashtun and HLT. I will leave the boilkettle as a stand alone unit.

brew rig woods.jpg

How do you cool with that?

I have a plate chiller that mounts under the right side of the stand. There are two hoses that get connected in order to divert the wort through the chiller and back into the kettle or fermenter.

Spargster... Is that a cauldron (for lack of a better descriptor) I see on the far right of the first pic? What do you use it for?

You build a vent hood. I'm surprised you didn't plumb it for natural gas (or did you?) with the water heater right there.

Flykilbosa said:
iPad integration!!! You are my hero!! Was that a kit or did you piece it together? Awesome!

I pieced it all together. Though it is all driven by the bcs. I'll get some more photos posted up.

pfgonzo said:
Spargster... Is that a cauldron (for lack of a better descriptor) I see on the far right of the first pic? What do you use it for?

You build a vent hood. I'm surprised you didn't plumb it for natural gas (or did you?) with the water heater right there.

Yes that is a "cauldron" i was going to incorporate into the stand as a tippy/dump type set up...still may at some point down the line. I was anxious to get the system on-line so I skipped that idea so for now. The system is NG and I did tap into the water heater supply line, just didn't have it attached in the pic. Vent hood for exhaust with two CO detectors and a fresh air supply inlet on other side of basement for safety.

Bsomogyi-

Do you have any flow issues with the 90 degree turn into the pump? Many people suggest it causes issues. Do you restrict the flow on the outflow? I would prefer your setup.

Thanks! Looks great!!! A+

So I far I have....

my rig.jpg

JLo said:
Spargster - What did you make your vent hood out of?

I made the hood out of a pair of fluorescent light fixtures which i found on CL super cheap, just removed the tubes and ballasts. Pop rivet'd them together and cut a hole in the top. Squirrel cage blower pulls about 300cfm vented to the outdoors

Latest posts

Back