Two Hearted IPA Partial Mash clone recipe- looking for feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I posted this in the recipe database but figured I'd post here since this part of the forum gets more traffic.

I read through all 94 pages of the Two Hearted recipe and put together a PM version from various recipes that I've "frankensteined" together. I wanted to keep the grain bill down in size to about 4# since I don't have the room to go larger amount of grain, just not sure if I have enough DME to back it up.

Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4.75 # Light Dry Extract
2.5# 2-Row
0.5# Carapils
0.5# Munich
0.5# Crystal 20L

Mash @152 for 1 hour

1.25oz centennial 60 min
1 oz centennial 15 min
1 oz centennial 5 min
1.5 oz centennial Dry Hop

Wyeast 1272 with 1.5 - 2 Liter starter

Let me know what you think, I'm just a novice and usually don't stray away from what comes in the kits I buy but wanted to try something out myself.

I want it to be real hoppy so maybe I should increase some of my hop additions? I know it won't be a "true" clone but that's ok with me.

-Thanks

Looks decent, but you don't need the carapils when using a base of DME. The DME already contains carapils from when it was manufactured by the maltster. The 152 mash temp. will also yield more body in a partial mash beer than it would in an all-grain beer, since you have no control over the mash temp. that the DME you're using was mashed at. It's probably best to shoot for a 148-150 mash instead, considering that the beer will usually be fuller with the extract base.

I would add half of your DME at flameout and keep a close eye on those ferm. temps to make sure they stay in the mid to upper 60s(F). Don't "guess" at the amount of starter required; do some accurate calculations using mrmalty or yeastcalc. Lastly, moar hopz at 15/5/DH... I'd even be inclined to switch that up to 10/0/DH.

Pelican, did you end up brewing this? How'd it turn out? Did you make any changes to the recipe above, or would you make any changes if you did it again?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

No, I actually didn't. Instead, I put together this recipe of a bunch of RR Blind Pig clone recipes I "frankensteined" together;

American 2-Row.....................2.5 lb
Wheat Malt, White..................0.5 lb
Carapils® Malt.......................0.5 lb
Crystal 40.............................0.5 lb
Golden Light DME...................5.0 lb

Chinook (US) 1.0 oz 60 min Pellet
Cascade (US) 0.5 oz 30 min Pellet
Cascade (US) 1.0 oz 15 min Pellet
Simcoe (US) 0.5 oz 5 min Pellet
Amarillo (US) 0.5 oz 5 min Pellet
Amarillo (US) 0.5 oz 5 days Dry Hop Pellet
Cascade (US) 0.5 oz 5 days Dry Hop Pellet
Centennial (US) 1.0 oz 5 days Dry Hop Pellet
Simcoe (US) 0.5 oz 5 days Dry Hop Pellet

American Ale Wyeast 1056

I've never had blind pig, but this came out very good and actually was a spot on clone to ballast point's big eye IPA!

Back