Souring an older beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
Is it possible that I can just rack from a corny back into a fermenter and add a sour culture from white labs or Wyeast? Will the bugs eat away at the rest of the sugars in the beer even though this would be an environment where alcohol is already present and there's little to no oxygen?

The base beer is a Belgian Dark Strong from Brewing Classic styles. It's about two years old. The beer is too sweet for my tastes as it finished in the 1.030 range.

Whats the abv? Lacto and Pedio don't work much above 8%. Also Lacto doesn't like high IBUs; 10 is good, probably 25-35 is OK, above that, they probably will not work. Got to give them lots of time.

If there is an issue with the beer (apart from being sweet), they will not fix that.

Brett will work fine.

If it knocked out at 1030 the ABV is probably too high for the commercial sour bugs to knock it out. As Calder said, you could add brett but that will give you a lot of funk but very little or no sourness.

Some other options: blend with a dry or sour beer, add lactic acid to taste, roll the dice with a spontaneous fermentation in hopes it will catch something tasty that will continue to break it down (chances are you will get something that won't taste good) or try adding amylase enzyme and try to break some of the sugars down and pitch fresh yeast to try to dry it out.

If you really want to go sour I think the second option is your best route but if you just want it to be less sweet, blending is probably easiest. You could probably even cut it with a tripel and lose some of the sweetness without giving up too much flavor or potency.

Back