I'm on a roll...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I did a couple Belgians a while back using Briess undermodified Pilsner and had some efficiency problems that I attribute to mash Ph issues.

But the last couple batches have been those utterly uneventful type: where everything goes totally smoothly, there's nothing to stress over, you nail the mash temp and the efficiency, etc.

My latest batch, I decided on the spur of the moment to brew. (That's one huge advantage of dried yeast--you can brew spontaneously.) I bottled a batch last night, with not even the smallest hitch or mishap.

You AG newbies: it really does get easy after a while. There are always those unexpected mishaps from time to time, but AG starts to feel as easy as extract did after a while. (It just takes longer and there's more crap to clean up.)

Right on cweston, good to hear!

Actually I was just thinking the same thing last night. AG really is a piece of cake after you have your equipment and technique locked down.

And if you are cleaning as you go, it really doesn't take that much longer. If I am really trying, I can knock one out in 3.5 hours. Most of the time though Ill slow it down and enjoy the process and then its right around 4 hours.

Nice.

One thing I have found is you get used to all the little caveats that go along with your setup, recipe, etc. Then it is smooth-er sailing. Just gotta watch when you change things up.

:cross:

zoebisch01 said:
Just gotta watch when you change things up.
I was thinking the same thing. I made huge equipment changes a while back, and while the overall process has been easier, it's taken a while to get used to, especially fine-tuning temps. To top it off, I've had to start conditioning the water since we moved. Not a huge change, but I never had to worry about it before.

I am planning on my first AG this weekend and am pretty damn excited about it.
Hopefully I can bypass the "trial" stage and have a nice smooth experience...

Back