My brew plan for tomorrow...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
I searched and didn't find quite what I needed. My intentions tomorrow in an effort to escape the heat are to stove top brew two separate 2.5 gallon AG bAtches of the same beer and combine into one 6.5 gallon fermenter. Is this at all a good idea? The other part of this is that the grain bill has been precrushed in one bag so the mashes will be different in relation to what percent of what grain will go into each mash once split up.

Any thoughts?

You'd just need to divide hops, etc evenly between the 2 pots. As for the grains, if you shake the bag good I'd think it would be mixed enough. Unless you see a real clear diviison of grains..
I know when I get my grains, it's well mixed in the bag so I wouldn't think it would matter.

I'm assuming you're doing BIAB, since you're concerned about the grains being split. Only issue I can think of is whether there's anything in there that needs the enzymes from the base malt for conversion. I'd just say to mix the grain up pretty well before splitting into the two pots.

usfmikeb said:
I'm assuming you're doing BIAB, since you're concerned about the grains being split. Only issue I can think of is whether there's anything in there that needs the enzymes from the base malt for conversion. I'd just say to mix the grain up pretty well before splitting into the two pots.

I actually am going to use a tun but I'm going to do two separate mashes. Boil the first mash as if I'm making a 2.5 gallon batch and repeat for the second 2.5 gallon batch then dump both into 5 gallon batch fermenter. I guess I could mash all of it together and drain into a bucket. From there just pour half of the wort and boil the first 2.5 gallon batch then repeat for the second? That sounds like it would work.

Anyone know what is the best way to proceed? Sorry for the bump but I'm brewing first thing in the morning.

I do a split boil. Here is how it works... I mash in a cooler and collect my wort in my plastic bucket fermenter. That has about a 6.7 gal capacity. I collect about 6.5 gal to split between my pots. One holds 3.25 and the other 4.25. I put them on the stove at the same time, but the smaller one ALWAYS comes to a boil first. Start timing your hour boil for pot 1. Split your additions as closely as you can to match the volume in each pot. Make hops additions to pot 1. Pot 2 (the larger pot) usually comes to a boil 10-15 minutes after the first pot. This difference in my volume and thusly in the timing has worked beautifully for chilling since it takes around 15 minutes to chill each pot down to pitching range. Just make sure you have the counters cleaned off well. Once pot 1 is cool, I switch the chiller over to #2 and then auto-siphon/pour pot 1 into my fermenter. I wait to take my final OG until I have both batches in the fermenter then pitch. Just remember to sanitize your fermenter while the wort is boiling if you use the fermenter to collect your wort. You will lose a little bit more volume with a split boil so, either top up (if the gravity will allow) or try to account for that and collect a little extra wort. in the .25 gal-.5 gal range.

If you only have 1 pot, then I would mash, collect the wort in a bucket, then boil 1/2 chill, & repeat. I would try to keep the wort covered when not boiling, but then again your boil will take care of any nasties that might want to hang out in nice fresh sweet wort.
Good luck

mcbethenstein said:
I do a split boil. Here is how it works... I mash in a cooler and collect my wort in my plastic bucket fermenter. That has about a 6.7 gal capacity. I collect about 6.5 gal to split between my pots. One holds 3.25 and the other 4.25. I put them on the stove at the same time, but the smaller one ALWAYS comes to a boil first. Start timing your hour boil for pot 1. Split your additions as closely as you can to match the volume in each pot. Make hops additions to pot 1. Pot 2 (the larger pot) usually comes to a boil 10-15 minutes after the first pot. This difference in my volume and thusly in the timing has worked beautifully for chilling since it takes around 15 minutes to chill each pot down to pitching range. Just make sure you have the counters cleaned off well. Once pot 1 is cool, I switch the chiller over to #2 and then auto-siphon/pour pot 1 into my fermenter. I wait to take my final OG until I have both batches in the fermenter then pitch. Just remember to sanitize your fermenter while the wort is boiling if you use the fermenter to collect your wort. You will lose a little bit more volume with a split boil so, either top up (if the gravity will allow) or try to account for that and collect a little extra wort. in the .25 gal-.5 gal range.

If you only have 1 pot, then I would mash, collect the wort in a bucket, then boil 1/2 chill, & repeat. I would try to keep the wort covered when not boiling, but then again your boil will take care of any nasties that might want to hang out in nice fresh sweet wort.
Good luck

Awesome sir... Sounds like a plan. I'll just collect my normal wort amount in a bucket, split half into the pot, boil chill, repeat. Thanks!

Back