How do you say Hoegaarden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
So I'm drinking a Hoegaarden while i watch my wit ferment away and it got me thinking, How many people say Hoegaarden (Ho-Garden) and how many people say Hoegaarden (Who-Garden)?

I'd be willing to bet most people say it, 'Ho-Garden' like myself, given the massive campaign they started a few years back that included their own phonetical spelling of Who-Gar-Den to correct us all. Clearly, their market research indicated that the majority of us say it improperly.

Just curious

It is what it is. Here in PA we drink Yinglings but I am pretty sure it is more like You en ling. Yeah I say ho garden. :p

'round here, I say Ho-garden. But a German lady at my local pub insisted it was Hooeh-gareden. I'd say she's right, but my vulgar American tongue can't quite do it.

The way the German lady pronounced it was ... I don't even know how to write it phonetically, but try saying who-garden with your tongue pressed firmly up against your bottom teeth. Thats pretty close. Then she went off on this diatribe about what umlauts do.

I said Ho-Garden until I picked up a 6 pack and all of a sudden it dropped - I thought it was going to the floor, but it stopped after an inch. I look at the 6er like "wtf?!" and I see "Who - Gar - Den". Quite the successful design there. It stuck with me since I thought 6 beers were about to shatter. So now I always says Who-Gar-Den. You win Hoegaarden.

I say who-garden. When I was in Europe, I ordered a hoe-garden and was laughed at! Haha I say who-garden now!

i'm sorry, but if the name is spelled like what Snoop Dogg would try to grow instead of tomatoes (or hop cousins), that's how i'm gonna say it. You reap what you ho after all.

Latest posts

Back