Fermentation Temperature... how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
How long should I keep my beer at the recommended fermentation temperature?

For example, I used SAFALE US-05 yeast in my latest batch of beer. The yeast packet says recommended fermentation temp. is 59 to 75-degrees F.

Once primary fermentation has completed, should I turn off my heating system (which consists of a large bin filled with water then heated with an aquarium heater that I place the fermentation bucket into) and let the temp. drop to the ambient room temp, which is currently around 40-degrees during the day and even colder at night?

Or should I keep it at 59 to 75-degrees for a while even after primary fermentation has completed?

Thanks!

How long should I keep my beer at the recommended fermentation temperature?

For example, I used SAFALE US-05 yeast in my latest batch of beer. The yeast packet says recommended fermentation temp. is 59 to 75-degrees F.

Once primary fermentation has completed, should I turn off my heating system (which consists of a large bin filled with water then heated with an aquarium heater that I place the fermentation bucket into) and let the temp. drop to the ambient room temp, which is currently around 40-degrees during the day and even colder at night?

Or should I keep it at 59 to 75-degrees for a while even after primary fermentation has completed?

Thanks!

As long as fermentation has finished it should be ok to drop the temp down while aging. Just don't let the beer freeze.

After fermentation is completed, the temperature becomes less important. Many people "cold crash" at 35-45F in a secondary vessel to clear up the beer prior to bottling/kegging. Cooling the beer down will cause the yeasts to fall out of suspension.

That said, there are plenty of advantages to keeping the wort in the primary for several weeks at the recommended temperature (I always shoot for 66-69F). US-05 is a pretty hearty yeast, too.

IMO, don't cold crash for at least a couple (2-3 weeks) in primary at fermentation temps...yeast dependent conditioning/cleanup is going to proceed faster at those temps.

one other thing to consider, though not typically an issue with 05...it's not a bad idea to ramp your temp up to the high end of the yeast's range when your fermentation starts to slow down. this will help maximize attenuation, esp with strong flocculators.

Ten days at a minimum at fermentation temperature. After that I usually pull it out of my temp controller (the same model as yours), and let it sit at basement temps which are around 55* now. After another 5 days or so I bottle. That gives it time to clean up any diacetyl and clean up. If I'm dry hopping I leave it in primary an extra 5 days with the hops floating.

Back