Help...fermentation stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all...any and all suggestions are apreciated.

My first batch ever and after 3 days of vigorous action, fermentation stopped. OG was 1.070. When it stalled after 3 days it was 1.060. After 7 days still 1.060. And now, after 2 weeks, still the same. Should I try re-pitching to get it started again? What else can I do?

If you need any more info to help me, just let me know. Thanks!

Pat

What kind of yeast did you use and how much, what temps are you fermenting at, and what's the recipe?

Seems to have been a "generic" yeast...it came in a stout kit: "Muntons Active Brewing Yeast - Product of the EU" 6 grams.

Started fermenting at about 70 degrees. After about a week, the temp in my basement went down to about 66 dgrees and has stayed there constantly.

Recipe:

4 oz crushed roasted 2 row barley
6 oz crushed crystal 2 row barley
35 min. @165 degrees

2 lb dark dried malt extract powder
3.3 lb Amber malt extract syrup
3.3 lb Dark malt extract syrup
3.3 lb Hopped dark malt extract syrup
50 minutes @ boil

1/2 oz UK First Gold hop pellets
50 minutes continuous hopping

1/2 oz Chinook whole leaf hops
1/2 oz Sterling whole leaf hops
first 50 minutes

1/2 gal grade B maple syrup
1 oz Fuggles whole leaf hops
1 tbsp Irish Moss
15 minutes @ boil

pitched w/ 6gms Muntons brewing yeast

I recall some others on this forum using this yeast and having issues with it. Did you properly hydrate it before pitching?

66 degrees should be plenty warm for this yeast to do its thing.

My concern is that 1.070 OG might be a bit high for just one yeast packet. You can always hydrate and pitch another.

No worries! Some have great results without hydrating, I prefer to hydrate to proof my yeast. If you're going to the LHBS to pick up the dry yeast, may I suggest S-04? It's the English Whitbread strain, and should go well with your recipe. Oh, and definitely use a Blowoff Tube with the S-04!

Latest posts

Back